Dear World

devonian.t Profile Photodevonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#1
Posted: 2/6/13 at 2:39pm
It looks utterly charming and how lovely to see Anthony Barclay, Robert Meadmore and Peter Land bringing their fantastic experience back to the West End!
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#2
Posted: 2/6/13 at 4:58pm
It does look good doesn't it Dev!

AddisonMizner
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dear World#2
Posted: 2/7/13 at 5:28am
I would really love to see this, but I don't think I will be able to get to London in time to specifically see it. I doubt very much this will extend or transfer to another theatre? How are ticket sales?

Updated On: 2/7/13 at 05:28 AM
philitalia Profile Photophilitalia Profile Photo
philitalia
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#3
Posted: 2/7/13 at 6:20am
Would have loved seeing this, but can't make it to London at the moment. Shame about the short run. Uffa
rockyhorrorfan
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Dear World#4
Posted: 2/7/13 at 12:42pm
I'm booked to see it on Saturday 16th March. The first time I'll have seen Betty Buckley on stage so really looking forward to it.
FrontRowDress Profile PhotoFrontRowDress Profile Photo
FrontRowDress
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Dear World#5
Posted: 2/9/13 at 5:41am
I expected this to be good, but nothing prepared me for how good it was. Betty Buckley is astonishing I was totally starstuck, but the whole prodcution is incredible, band, choreography, set, costumes, the best thing I've seen at Charing Cross by a mile. A rare treat indeed, it felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Total fanboy raving on my blog.
Dear World
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#6
Posted: 2/9/13 at 5:48am
I totally agree. Dear World turns out to be a strangely wonderful little show. The great cast and Gillian Lynne's sympathetic production do it full justice. And Betty Buckley is amazing. Go see it!

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Updated On: 2/9/13 at 05:48 AM
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#7
Posted: 2/9/13 at 6:06am
Seeing this on Tuesday Feb 19 - can't wait!
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** uAssassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy*****
mrkringas Profile Photomrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dear World#8
Posted: 2/9/13 at 3:23pm
I attended the first preview and was going in with high expectations. Betty Buckley and a rare Jerry Herman show.. what else could I wish for?

I own the cast recording and can't say I'm familiar with it apart from "Kiss Her Now" and "I Don't Want to Know" however I did recall the section in "Not Since Carrie" about this show. I presume this version has been reworked?

Won't say too much but the story is a little surreal? The theme plays into the times and was probably ahead of its day back in the early 70s. I understand some of the commentary around the allegedly camp capitalist villains.. I kinda enjoyed the overly mannered and choreographed scenes they had.

Less keen on the overused balletic mute though wouldn't flaw what he did just his overuse?

Big thumbs up for the always brilliant Rebecca Locke and also Annabel Leventon (not familiar with but I suspect I should be?) as the mad women's fellow travellers. They have this fantastic show stopping trio with Buckley in the second act.. pure Herman joy.

However the main reason to see this - living Broadway legend Betty Buckley. Always been a fan of her voice. Will admit to owning all her albums (even the self indulgent ones) and any cast recording I can find. Rather than gush I will just say what a friend did "she still got it!"

An odd, delicate music box of a show. Worth catching for curators of rare gems.

Now if only someone would stage a big revival of Mame...
keithp Profile Photokeithp Profile Photo
keithp
Featured Actor
Featured Actor
Dear World#9
Posted: 2/9/13 at 6:33pm
Liked this a lot despite the book still needing some work. Nice production. Lovely score and some funny moments, touching moments and thrilling moments.
Buckley,Leventon and Locke terrific. Paul Nicholas off tonight, understudy on at short notice with not much rehearsal, pre- show speech from Gillian Lynne about thecsituation. Craig Nicholls did very well.
TBFL Profile PhotoTBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Dear World#10
Posted: 2/10/13 at 10:54am
I'm not that excited to see Dear World, but what i'm holding out for, whilst Betty Buckley is in London, is a Carrie Reunion concert!!

Well, i can dream....
rjm516
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#11
Posted: 2/10/13 at 11:24am
It really was fantastic! Betty was superb. She can still carry a show so well. I saw the Weds matinee (can't believe she does all the shows and so many young stars do like 4-5 a week *cough Heather Headley*) and it was maybe half full. I sat in the bench and she made eye contact! It was wonderful. The story is ridiculous but it's a lot of fun.
TBFL Profile PhotoTBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
Leading Actor
Leading Actor
Dear World#12
Posted: 2/10/13 at 11:48am
Apparently Heather's new name at the Adelphi is
Heather HardlyEverThere

LOL
jacco Profile Photojacco Profile Photo
jacco
Stand-by
Stand-by
Dear World#13
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:23pm
As a die-hard Betty fan, my expectations were through the roof, but I am happy to report that DEAR WORLD is an excellent production of a very strange show. It somewhat reminded me of Urinetown: mad twists in the plot, great choreo and a cast which doesn't take it too seriously, but are all at the top of their league.

It's amazing how hummable this score is; I'd never heard it before entering the tiny (and shockingly empty!) theatre, but was able to remember and sing (yeah I know) a few tunes in the shower the next morning. That is a rare thing with a new musical to be honest.

Buckley is amazing, just as amazing as I remembered her form Sunset in New York. Her voice still sends shivers down my spine and her acting is intense, even in this lighthearted nonsense of a plot. Star-quality in a tiny theatre under the arches. I hope you Brits are aware of how lucky you are. If I didn't live in Amsterdam, I'd be in that damn theatre every day.

I hope that the producers can throw some money at advertising this little gem of a show. It deserves a much greater audience than it's having right now!
Nickhutson Profile PhotoNickhutson Profile Photo
Nickhutson
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Dear World#14
Posted: 2/19/13 at 5:42am
Here's my podcast - discussing Dear World, and interviewing Betty Buckley.

Episode 330: Betty Buckley's Dear World: Nick and Robert share their thoughts on the UK premiere of Jerry Herman's Dear World, currently playing at the Charing Cross Theatre until March 30th - and talk to its star - the Broadway legend - Betty Buckley.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/musicaltalk/mt_ep_0330.mp3

Nick Hutson Co-Presenter/Producer MusicalTalk - The UK's Musical Theatre Podcast http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#16
Posted: 2/20/13 at 10:51am
I was hoping to see it today but sadly Betty is ill and not performing. Ho hum, I might try another day
bob8rich Profile Photobob8rich Profile Photo
bob8rich
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#17
Posted: 2/21/13 at 1:44pm
Saw this yesterday afternoon. What a delightful, charming, funny, tuneful and incredibly weird little show!

It is on the one hand utterly preposterous and on the other hand thoroughly enjoyable. Gillian Lynn's staging was quite beautiful and every single performance was from the top drawer. Really loved the three "presidents" (all West End veteran leading men giving vintage quality performances), Stuart Matthew Price, whose vocals were as glorious as ever and the fabulous Katy Treharne, whose vocals were also as glorious as ever! The show is perhaps stolen by the brilliant Rebecca Locke - but everyone was superb.

AND - must give a very special mention to the wonderful Joanne Loxton, who had to step in for the indisposed Betty Buckley at short notice and proved emphatically that First Covers are the life-blood of theatre. She was amazing!
THEATRE 2015: The Mikado**** Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown***** The Grand Tour**** Charlotte Bradford: The Last 7 Years (cabaret)**** Bat Boy**** City Of Angels***** uAssassins***** A Little Night Music***** Jesus Christ Superstar (tour,Cardiff)**** The Goodbye Girl**** Anything Goes (tour, Wimbledon)**** She Loves Me**** Whistle Down The Wind***** Live & Acoustic**** Charles Strouse (cabaret)**** The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole (Curve, Leicester)****. Miss Saigon***** Spend,Spend, Spend**** Sweeney Todd (ENO)***** News Review**** Songs From The Playground**** Apartment 40C***** Follies***** The Verb, To Love*** Portia Coughlan**** Sweeney Todd (Pie Shop)***** Closer To Heaven*** Carrie***** Little Shop Of Horrors (Colchester)***** The Theory Of Relativity***** Warhorse***** The Clockmaker's Daughter*** Elegies For Angels, Punks & Raging Queens***** Duncton Wood**** Live & Acoustic**** Dick Barton**** The Baker's Wife**** High Society***** Bend It Like Beckham**** Gypsy*****. Face The Music**** The Play That Goes Wrong***** Les Miserables***** Dusty*** I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change***** House Of Mirrors And Hearts*** American Idiot***** Gloria Onitiri Reverie***** What's It All About?***** New Beginnings, No More Thought Of Darkness**** Fully Committed (Edinburgh)***** Sunshine On Leith (Edinburgh)*** Cleansed (Edinburgh)**** Under The Ground (Edinburgh)*** The Bakewell Bake Off (Edinburgh)**** Confessional (Edinburgh)**** Urinetown (Edinburgh)*** Departures (Edinburgh)*** The Spitfire Grill ***** Aliens Love Underpants**** Pinocchio**** Prodigy*****
Scripps2 Profile PhotoScripps2 Profile Photo
Scripps2
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Dear World#18
Posted: 3/3/13 at 7:24am
It did look and sound wonderful but what a twee and unsatisfactory plot - to identify prescient problems and offer such a weak and ridiculous solution. Is the play it's based upon any better?

The cast were all excellent with Peter Land making my flesh crawl as one of the odious presidents. The score has obviously beerewritten compared to the OBC and the new songs and orchestrations were great.

Ultimately this show is like your great grandmother's lace doily - beautiful, fragile and precious but practically useless.

Updated On: 3/3/13 at 07:24 AM

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to:
🔀MINNEAPOLIS SHOWS
BEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS in MinneapolisBEST LITTLE WHOREHOUSE IN TEXAS
(Runs 6/12 - 8/29)
Stage Kiss
(Runs 7/18 - 8/30)
Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella in MinneapolisRodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella
(Runs 9/8 - 9/1)
The Book of Mormon in MinneapolisThe Book of Mormon
(Runs 8/19 - 9/14)
Woody Guthrie's American Song
(Runs 5/1 - 9/28)
The Little Pilot in MinneapolisThe Little Pilot
(Runs 9/11 - 10/4) CAST
To Kill a Mockingbird
(Runs 9/12 - 10/18)

VIEW ALL | ADD A SHOW | AUDITIONS