OPEN STREETS AT PENN FEST Set for Richfield, 9/15
On Sunday, September 15th between 12 noon and 5 pm, the cars, trucks and vans on Penn Avenue in Richfield, Minnesota will disappear. This normally busy stretch of roadway from 62nd to 76th on Penn Avenue will be closed to vehicles and instead opened to walking, biking, skateboarding, dancing, sports, games, crafts, arts and many more activities.
For five fun-filled hours, the street will be filled with laughter, music and shouts of joy from people instead of honks and horns from vehicles. It's all part of Open Streets at Penn Fest -- a special day when the street becomes a playground for people of all ages from 2 to 102! There is no admission charge for the event.
More information is available at www.penncentralofrichfield.com.
Activities include a flea market, live bands performing on the street, spontaneous sports on the pavement, square dancing and belly dancing, hands-on arts and craft activities, family-friendly children's activities, and much more! This event takes place in the neighborhood known as Penn Central of Richfield.
Highlights of the event include:
- BMX stunt bike demo by the Fantasy Factory
- A classic car show with cruisers and street machines
- Live music ranging from big band hits of the 1940's, rock-n-roll of the '60s, as well as classic and alternative rock
- Celebrity appearance by former Minnesota Viking Jake Reed.
- Loaner bikes for event guest to ride the avenue
- Flea market with over 100 vendors selling jewelry, collectibles, and antiques
- 5K run to benefit Richfield Public Schools
- Square dancing in the street
- FREE rootbeer floats for event guests
- Farmers market vendors selling fresh, homegrown produce
Open Streets at Penn Fest is a very eclectic day of miscellaneous activities, all of which are meant to get people out of their homes for the purposes of being active and building a greater sense of community among people of all generations.