Milwaukee Rep's VENUS IN FUR to Open 9/27
Venus in Fur, the play that The New York Times calls, "seriously smart and very funny," kicks off The Rep's 60th Anniversary Season in the Stiemke Studio. In this sexy new play, audiences have the opportunity to first meet Thomas - a demanding playwright and director desperate for the perfect actress for his new stage adaptation of a classic erotic novel. Then along comes Vanda - an unusually talented young actress lusting after the leading role in the show. Through the comic genius of playwright David Ives, their late-night encounter in a deserted audition studio evolves from banal routine into a sizzling battle of the sexes blending love, libido and literature that will keep you wondering to the very end just who, exactly, is on top. Written by award-winning, contemporary playwright David Ives, Venus in Furwill be Directed by Rep Associate Artist Laura Gordon, whose other recent Rep directing credits include Gutenberg! The Musical!, In the Next Room (or the vibrator play) and Laurel and Hardy. The cast features Reese Madigan and Greta Wohlrabe. Venus in Fur runs in the Stiemke Studio from September 25 - November 3, and opens on Friday, September 27.
"Sexy, thrilling, comic, mysterious and a great vehicle for two extraordinary actors, Venus in Fur immediately captivated me on the page when I first read it - and then had me truly spellbound when I saw it on Broadway," says Artistic Director Mark Clements. "I love that the play encourages audience members to use their imaginations a bit, and I think it will be an absolutely electric evening in the Stiemke!" Clements also had this to say: "This production, directed by Milwaukee Rep Associate Artist Laura Gordon, features two of my favorite (and now regular), Rep actors: Associate Artist Reese Madigan, last seen in Othello; and Greta Wohlrabe, who was a member of our 2010/11 Season Artistic Intern Ensemble, and who most recently appeared in our production of Clybourne Park last season. I know that they'll give you a terrific, memorable evening in the theater, and I'm delighted to share their work with you." Director Laura Gordon added, "The electricity in this play is all generated by two actors: hold onto your hats!"
Milwaukee Rep will host a series of special events and programs around Venus in Fur.
· Rep In Depth - get an insider's look at the production from cast member Reese Madigan with a discussion that begins 45 minutes before every performance.
· TalkBacks - Thursday, October 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31 - join members of the cast after the show for a Q&A moderated by a member of The Rep's Artistic Staff.
· Ladies Night featuring Pure Romance - Wednesday, October 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30, Pre and Post show. Wednesdays in October are Ladies Night. Ladies can enjoy drink specials and discounted tickets to the show. The women of Pure Romance will be on hand in the Stiemke Studio Lobby, before and after the performance to offer tips and tricks.
· Date Nights - Thursday, October 3 and 10, Pre and Post show
The first two Thursdays in October are Date Night! Tickets are $40/couple and drink specials are available in the Stackner Cabaret and Stiemke Studio before and after each performance.
Milwaukee Rep offers the following Access Services for Venus in Fur:
· Audio-Description Performance, Thursday, October 10, 7:30pm - the show will be Audio-Described for patrons who are blind or have low vision.
· American Sign Language, Thursday, October 17, at 7:30pm - the show will be signed for patrons who are deaf or have low hearing.
Tickets for Venus in Fur begin at $25.00. (Prices subject to change.) Single Tickets for all of Milwaukee Repertory Theater's 2013/14 productions are now on sale and can be purchased online 24/7 at www.MilwaukeeRep.com, through The Rep's Ticket Office by calling 414-224-9490 or in person at 108 E. Wells Street. Group tickets are also available for purchase by calling Group Sales Manager Stacy Mills at 414-290-5340.