Milwaukee Rep's END OF THE RAINBOW with Hollis Resnik Begins 1/7
Milwaukee Repertory Theater continues its 2013/14 Season with a celebrated production of Peter Quilter's End of the Rainbow, a new play with music. The recipient of rave reviews in London, Broadway and L.A. including four Olivier Award nominations and three Tony Award nominations, End of the Rainbow stars 12-time Jeff Award-winning Chicago actress Hollis Resnik as Judy Garland. Resnik will be the first American-born actress to play the role. Joining her are Thomas J. Cox (Anthony), Nicholas Harazin (Mickey) and Rep Associate Artist Jonathan Gillard Daly (Various). Directed by Rep Artistic Director Mark Clements, End of the Rainbow was featured in Time Magazine's "Top Ten" List and called "electrifying" by The New York Times.
End of the Rainbow is set in December 1968, and Judy Garland is about to make her comeback . . . again. In a London hotel room preparing for a series of concerts, with both her new young fiancé and her adoring accompanist, Garland struggles to get "beyond the rainbow" with her signature cocktail of talent, tenacity and razor-sharp wit. This savagely funny drama offers unique insight into the inner conflict that inspired and consumed one of the most beloved figures in American popular culture.
The production features Garland's most memorable songs including "The Man That Got Away," "Come Rain Or Come Shine," "The Trolley Song" and, of course, "Somewhere Over The Rainbow." End of the Rainbow runs in The Rep's Quadracci Powerhouse from January 7 - February 9 and opens Friday, January 10.
"A pre-eminent singer and movie star, Judy Garland is a seminal figure in American entertainment and a cultural icon, who still makes a huge impact across generations, even over forty years after her death," says Artistic Director Mark Clements. "Rainbow - not a musical, but a play with some classic songs - offers the opportunity for a truly tour-de-force performance that explores the joy and the heartbreak that sum up Judy's life so well."
Milwaukee Rep will host a series of special events and programs around End of the Rainbow:
- Rep In Depth - get an insider's look at the production from Rep Associate Artist Jonathan Gillard Daly with a discussion that begins 45 minutes prior to every performance.
- TalkBacks - Thursday, January 9 with playwright Peter Quilter, Sunday, January 12, 19 and 26 and February 2 and 9 - 2:00 pm - join members of the cast after the show for a Q & A moderated by a member of The Rep Artistic Staff.
- Powerhouse PowerHour Thursday, January 9, 6pm - young professionals join together to enjoy complimentary appetizers and free beer provided by Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery with live music by Pete and the Hot Mess. Sponsored in part by 88Nine. Tickets to the show and social hour are just $20. For more information go to: www.Milwaukeerep.com/powerhour/.
· Lunch Matinee, January 29 11:45pm - enjoy lunch and a conversation about End of the Rainbow at the InterContinental Milwaukee. The cost is $15 per person and reservations are required. Please RSVP to email@example.com or 414-291-4790.
Milwaukee Rep offers the following Access Services for End of the Rainbow
· Audio-Description Performance, Tuesday, January 14, 6:30pm - the production will be Audio-Described for patrons who are blind or have low vision.
· American Sign Language Interpreted Performance, Thursday, January 30, 7:30pm - the production will be signed for patrons who are deaf or have low hearing.
· Captioned Theater Performance, Sunday, February 2, 2pm - the production will include captions.
Tickets for Noises Off begin at $20.00. (Prices are subject to change.) Single Tickets for all of Milwaukee Repertory Theater's 2013/14 productions are now on sale and can be purchased online 24/7 at www.MilwaukeeRep.com, through The Rep's Ticket Office by calling 414-224-9490 or in person at 108 E. Wells Street. Group tickets are also available for purchase by calling: 414-290-5340.