Playhouse on the Square Now Accepting Scripts for 2nd Annual NewWorks@TheWorks Competition
Playhouse on the Square is accepting scripts for the Second Annual "NewWorks@TheWorks" Competition. A panel of local directors, actors, and designers will review all submitted scripts and select six to receive staged readings during the 2014-15 season. After the six readings have been presented, Playhouse on the Square will select two that will receive full productions during the 2015-16 Season. These two new works will receive world premieres at Playhouse's third performance space, TheatreWorks.
Along with these fully mounted productions, the two winning works will each be awarded a prize of $500. The playwright(s) of each play will also be flown to Memphis to take part in the rehearsals and development of the new work.
There is a $15 entry fee for the competition, which must be paid along with the submitted script. Only check and money order will be accepted. Any script submitted without the entry fee will not be considered.
The following outlines the guidelines and rules for the 2014-15 competition:
1. The submission must be written in the English Language.
2. The submission must be an original, full-length play or musical that is unpublished.
3. The submission must begin with a title page that includes the work's name and the playwright's name, address, telephone number, and email. There should also include a character list and scene breakdown if applicable. NOTE* If submitting a musical please include a score and demo.
4. Submissions that have been previously produced or published will not be accepted. A play that is scheduled for a professional production at the time of submission will also not be accepted.
5. The manuscript must be easy to read. It must be typed in no less that 12-point type and page numbered.
6. The cast for the play or musical must be limited to no more than 10.
7. The script may have more than one author. Also, the playwright(s) may include a brief biography, but it is not necessary.
8. Each playwright is limited to one submission per year. There will be no revisions accepted once a script has been submitted. Revised plays that have been previously submitted to the competition may be submitted again.
9. There will be no written or oral critique given on scripts submitted. We will notify the playwrights whose plays have been selected for readings. The six plays selected for readings will be announced on our website.
10. Please send the manuscript to Playhouse on the Square, New Works Competition, 66 S. Cooper, Memphis, TN 38104
11. In order to qualify for the 2013-2014 competition, the script must be submitted no earlier than January 1, 2014 and must be post marked no later than May 30, 2014.
12. Please include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for receipt of the manuscript to be acknowledged. Also include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for the play to be returned, should it not be selected for the competition. Any play without a self-addressed, stamped envelope will be recycled if not selected for the competition.
13. Do not send the only copy of a manuscript. All scripts will be handled with care, but Playhouse on the Square will not be responsible for any loss or damage to your manuscript.