Submissions Now Being Accepted for The Ebell of Los Angeles Playwright Prize
The Ebell of Los Angeles Playwright Prize has been created to encourage, inspire and celebrate California women playwrights with pride, praise, and a prize.
The Ebell of Los Angeles was established in 1894 "to interest women in the study of all branches of literature, art and science and the advancement of women in every branch of culture." The club adopted the motto, "I will Gind a way or make one -- I serve."
The Ebell conducted a playwriting contest in 1928, setting a tradition of honoring women playwrights. Today, 85 years later, because women playwrights are often underrepresented, we reactivate that tradition of encouraging the women!
The Girst-prize winner will be awarded $6,000, a staged reading at the historic Ebell of Los Angeles followed by supper, including complimentary admission for four. In addition, the Dramatists Guild will award the winning playwright a one-year membership to the Guild.
- The contest is open ONLY to FEMALE RESIDENTS of the state of CALIFORNIA.
- A submitted play must be full-length, in English, unpublished, and not have received a professional production or be scheduled for professional production before May 4, 2014. It must be the original work of one playwright, or of two equal collaborators.
- Each playwright may submit up to three different works.
- Musicals, screenplays, children's plays, adaptations (other than the submitter's own) and translations will not be considered.
- Full list of eligibility rules are available on the site at ebellplaywrightprize.com/details
- Applications will be accepted online only from September 1, 2013 until December 31, 2013.
- All applicants must complete an online afGidavit and pay a $50 submission fee per play.
- To apply: Go to ebelleventtickets.com and pay the entry fee online.
- Once payment is accepted, Applicant will receive password access to the Ebell of Los
Angeles Playwright Prize application at ebellplaywrightprize.com, instructions on how to Gill out the application and afGidavit, and how to email her play for entrance into the contest.
- Each correctly submitted play will be assigned a number and its title page placed in a safe in order to guarantee anonymity and objectivity in evaluation.
- All plays will be read at least twice in the competition. Between Give and ten Ginalists will be selected based on readers' scores and comments.
- The Ginalist plays will be judged by an all-women board of theatre professionals, both actors and directors.
The winner will be announced April 1, 2014.
Ebell members may submit plays but cannot serve as readers or judges.
Ebell Board Members may not submit plays or serve as readers or judges.
Employees of The Ebell may not submit plays or serve as readers or judges.
- The prize-winning play and playwright will be honored with a staged reading (actors seated with scripts in hand), followed by supper at The Ebell of Los Angeles on Sunday, May 4, 2014.
- The Chair of the Ebell Playwriting Contest will choose a director for the staged reading. Casting will be at the discretion of the chosen director.
The Fine Print
The Ebell of Los Angeles reserves the rights to the Girst presentation of the winning play, but that play shall remain the sole property of its author.
The Ebell of Los Angeles is a 501(c)3 California non- proGit organization. Monetary donations to the Playwright Prize are fully tax-deductible.
Complete rules and detailed submission instructions can be found at ebellplaywrightprize.com/details.