Rubicon Hosts Special Nights During LA RAZON BLINDADA thru Nov 11
In keeping with Rubicon Theatre's new "Our Town/Your Theatre" initiative, the company is partnering with several local businesses to host special nights at the theatre during performances of La Razón Blindada, the critically acclaimed drama written and directed by Arístides Vargas, which continues through November 11 at Rubicon's home in Ventura's Downtown Cultural District.
The production comes from 24th Street Theatre in Los Angeles, where it was dubbed the L.A. Weekly "Production of the Year" and was a "Critic's Choice" in the L.A. Times and "Critic's Pick" in BackStage West.
Says Rubicon Producing Artistic Director Karyl Lynn Burns, "The goal of the 'Our Town/Your Theatre' initiative is to broaden, deepen and diversify our relationships with our community." "With each production in our season," continues Burns, "we hope to find new ways to reach out to residents of our community – to reconnect with old friends and to throw open the doors of the theatre and welcome new audience members."
Special Nights Related to La Razón Blindada
· OPENING NIGHT GALA – Rubicon Theatre celebrates the official opening of La Razón Blindada and press night tonight, October 20, at 7 p.m. Following the performance, Rubicon will welcome audience members to join the cast and special guests from the Mexican Consulate at a gala post-show reception at the Ventura Beach Marriott.
· FRIDAY LOCALS' NIGHTS – For every Friday of the run at 8 p.m. (October 19th, 26th and November 2nd, 9th) Rubicon begins its Friday "Locals Night" series, exclusively for this run of La Razón Blindada, La Central Bakery and Tortilla Factory (a 65-year-old, family-owned business in Oxnard), will provide complimentary empanadas or tamales to ticket holders. Doors will open 45 minutes before curtain, so that audience members may come early and mingle with their fellow patrons and community members while enjoying these fresh, locally made treats.
· YOUNG PROFESSIONALS' NIGHT - The last Friday night of this series, November 9 at 8 p.m., area resident Pedro Chavez, a member of Rubicon's Hispanic Advisory Committee, will host Young Professionals Night. In addition to La Central Bakery's offerings, attendees 21 and older with ID will enjoy a pre-show tequila tasting, compliments of Tequila Alquimia. Tequila Alquimia has won 16 Gold Medals and is an ultra-premium organic 100% estate grown Blue Agave tequila.
· SOCCER TICKET GIVEAWAY – With every ticket to the Friday, November 2 performance of La Razón Blindada, purchasers will receive a free ticket to a January game between the Ventura County Fusion! Under 30 Soccer Team and the Mexican National Team. Tickets are not yet on sale for the January game, which is expected to be an immediate sell-out.
· WEDNESDAY "EARLY BIRD" PERFORMANCES WITH TALKBACKS –Wednesday performances through the run (October 24, 31 and November 7), begin at 7:00 p.m. Then after the show, audience members are invited to remain in the auditorium for a "talkback" with the actors (an interpreter will be present so that both Spanish and English speaking audience members may participate).
· STUDENT MATINEES – Daytime 10:00 a.m. student matinees of La Razón Blindada are available for high school and college student groups. Study guides have been created by educator Bonnie Bowen, and the actors participate in talkbacks after the show. This particular production provides opportunities for discussion regarding South American politics, literature (the play is an amalgam of Cervantes' classic novel "Don Quixote" and Franz Kafka's "The Truth About Sancho Panza,") along with testimonies from political prisoners in Argentina. It is also an excellent opportunity for Spanish students and ESL students. Although most student matinees are sold out, space is still available for a special added student matinee performance on November 2 at 10 a.m. For more information, contact Jessica Savoy at (805) 667-2912 ext. 230, or email@example.com.
· ANYTIME STUDENT PRICES – For this production of La Razón Blindada, students with a valid ID may buy $10 tickets for any public performance (subject to availability at the time of purchase).