SCOTTSBORO BOYS, Mary Bridget Davies and More Among LA Drama Critics Circle's 2013 Nominees; Ceremony Set for 3/17
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle has announced its 2013 nominations and special awards for excellence in Los Angeles, Orange County and Ventura County theatre. The 45th Annual Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle Awards ceremony will take place on Monday, March 17, 2014 at The Colony Theatre, located at 555 N. Third Street in Burbank.
Tickets are $40 (plus service fee) and are available online at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/565317. Doors open at 6:30pm for pre-show appetizers and a no-host bar, and the ceremony begins at 7:30pm. For more information, visit www.ladramacriticscircle.com.
James Roday (Red Dog Squadron, Co-owner of the Circle Theatre) is currently scheduled to host. Performing at the event will be Constance Jewell Lopez (nominated for lead performance in Dreamgirls), and LA theatre favorites Beth Malone and Lowe Taylor. There will also be a special performance from LA Theatre Works, recipient of this year's Margaret Harford Award for sustained excellence in theatre.
Presenters will include David Kurs (Deaf West), Gates McFadden (Ensemble Studio Theatre/LA), Nicole Parker (nominated for lead performance in Funny Girl), Stephen Sachs (Fountain Theatre), and Lisa Wolpe (LA Women's Shakespeare Company). Additional performers and presenters will be announced at a later date.
The LADCC is grateful to the organizations who have graciously agreed to sponsor the special awards this year. Awards will be given in 19 categories, along with six special awards.
The 2013 special award recipients are as follows:
- The Ted Schmitt Award for the World Premiere of an Outstanding New Play will be awarded to Kemp Powers for One Night in Miami ... The award is accompanied by an offer to publish by Samuel French, Inc.
- The Polly Warfield Award for an Excellent Season in a Small to Midsize Theatre will be awarded to Actors Co-op. The award is accompanied by an honorarium, funded by the Nederlander Organization.
- The Margaret Harford Award for Sustained Excellence in Theatre will be awarded to LA Theatre Works. The award is accompanied by an honorarium, funded by The Knitting Factory Entertainment Company.
- The Joel Hirschhorn Award for Outstanding Achievement in Musical Theatre will be awarded to David Elzer. The award is accompanied by an honorarium, funded by an anonymous donor.
- The Milton Katselas Award for Career or Special Achievement in Direction will be awarded to Bart DeLorenzo. The award is accompanied by an honorarium, funded by The Beverly Hills Playhouse.
- The LADCC is pleased to announce the creation of a new award, The Kinetic Lighting Award for Outstanding Achievement in Theatrical Design. Kinetic Lighting is an award-winning rental house that supplies and supports the theatre community throughout Southern California. The inaugural recipient of the Kinetic Lighting Award is Angela Balogh Calin for her sustained achievement in costume design.
The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle was founded in 1969. It is dedicated to excellence in theatrical criticism, and to the encouragement and improvement of theatre in Greater Los Angeles.
The 2013 nominees are: