Summer Stages: BWW's Top Summer Theatre Picks - Long Island Part 2!
There’s nothing like capping off a trip to a beautiful Long Island beach with a trip to your local theater. (Bonus: there’s air conditioning!) This summer, there is a little bit of entertainment for everyone.
Without further ado, here’s my list of the 5 must-sees in theater around the Island:
1. Ivan Menchell’s Cemetery Club at Lantern Theatre in Freeport, NY. Coming off a heartfelt winter production of Falsettos, Lantern Theatre (the oldest community theater in Long Island) presents this play about three lifelong friends (with distinct personalities) who get together to visit their husbands’ graves each month. Playing June 2 - June 22. For more information, please visit: http://lanterntheatreli.com/
2. Hair at Smithtown Performing Arts Center in Smithtown, NY. This Tony Award winning show is an enthusiastic and politically charged rock musical brimming with catchy tunes! (Though not appropriate for children under 17 so think of this one as a perfect date night!) Playing July 7- August 26. For more information, please visit: http://www.smithtownpac.org
3. Terry Johnson’s The Graduate at Center Stage at Southampton Cultural Center in Southampton, NY. Based on the 1963 novel and 1967 movie, the play unfolds as a directionless young man is seduced by an older woman and falls for her daughter. Nothing like a little seduction in the summer, this production will play July 12-July 29. For more information, please visit: http://southamptonculturalcenter.org
4. 9 to 5 at Patchogue Theatre for the Performing Arts in Patchogue Village, NY Presented by The Gateway. Sally Struthers (star of All in the Family) will star in the Long Island premiere of this upbeat musical with music from Dolly Parton. Based on the 1980 movie, 9 to 5 follows the hysterical and outrageous antics of three co-workers who go to all lengths to take over their office. Playing July 18 to August 4. For more information, please visit: http://www.gatewayplayhouse.com
5. Next to Normal at the Merrick Theatre in Merrick, NY. End your summer with an emotional musical that packs quite a punch. This Tony Award winner features moving music about a family affected by mental illness and the steps it takes to heal. Playing August 11-September 9. For more information, please visit: http://merricktheatreandcenterforthearts.com
Hope all of you take the time to support your local theaters this summer!
Photo Credit: Estelle Hallick