BWW Feature: VITAL 5: This Weekend in Jacksonville Theatre
April is coming to a close, and hilarious memes of Justin Timberlake's annual "It's Gonna Be May" pun are floating around social media (I never get tired of that one!) I'm taking in a few theatrical productions this weekend, and wanted to give you wonderful theatre-goers the scoop for my top 5 picks this weekend!
1. Winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1994 for drama, Edward Albee's THREE TALL WOMEN opens tomorrow evening at Players by the Sea in Jacksonville Beach. This critically acclaimed work examines the life of an aging woman through manifestations of herself at the ages of 26, 52, and 92, as well as the presence of a silent young man. Albee once acknowledged that the play was "an exorcism of sorts", based on his own experiences growing up in a foster home with judgmental caretakers. Starring Gail Featheringill, Claire Cimino, and Kasi Walters, with direction by Joseph Schwarz, this show runs through May 13th. Tickets are available through the box office here. I'll be there opening night!
2. If you missed out on A NEW BRAIN at The 5 and Dime opening weekend because it was completely sold out, you should try again this weekend. You can read my review here. With intricate direction by Ron Shreve and breathtaking musical direction by Erin Barnes, this stellar cast, led by Josh Waller, tells a dark but somehow positively endearing story of a songwriter with a severe brain malformation. Tickets are available here, but get them quick. They will likely sell out.
3. I also had the privilege of soaking up some southern charm at Theatre Jax's production of STEEL MAGNOLIAS last weekend. You can read about my experience here, and scoop up your tickets here. With fantastic direction by Lee Hamby and memorable performances by the six leading ladies (Amy Noel Canning, Chelsae Baxley, Gloria Ware, Sara Beth Gerard-Summer, Kelley Norman, and Brooks Anne Meierdierks), this long-loved script produced in one of Jacksonville's most fun city spots will make for a great girls' night out. Just....remember your tissues. You'll need 'em!
4. Opening tonight is Jason Woods' new production, Mr. TOAD'S WILD EXPEDITION. Written and directed by Mr. Woods, this new original musical is a witty and clever production for the whole family. This adaptation of Wind in the Willows features a multi-generational cast and catchy, charming tunes, with choreography by Ashley Yarham. Tickets are available here, and the production is running through May 7th at Christ Episcopal Church in Ponte Vedra.
5. DREAMGIRLS continues its stellar run at the Alhambra Dinner Theatre this weekend. Running through May 21, this powerful production follows the story of "The Dreams," a three-member female singing group, with clear parallels to The Supremes. Tickets are available here, and come hungry! The dinner menu for this show is fantastic!
Whatever production you venture to this weekend, thank you for supporting live, local theatre. Do you have a show you'd like reviewed? Are you working on a special project we can feature for you? Reach out to me on facebook or twitter (HeatherV23) and let's chat! Have an awesome weekend....and remember....