PETER PAN Comes to Theatre Under The Stars' Hobby Center, 12/11-23
Theatre Under The Stars has announced the classic, family favorite tale Peter Pan will run during the 2012 holiday season as part of TUTS' "A Lot To Love" season. Audiences are invited to discover the magic of the two-time Emmy Award winning and two-time Tony Award nominated production staring the one and only Cathy Rigby! Families and fans have their chance to 'fly' into Hobby Center for the Performing Arts (800 Bagby) for this magical production running December 11 – 23.
Peter Pan is a unique, family friendly attraction of spectacle and fantasy. The thrill of flying, timeless magical moments and a captivating hook will mesmerize young and old alike. The legend you thought you know is now the adventure you never dreamed possible: Cathy Rigby is Peter Pan!
Joining the Tony Award nominee Cathy Rigby is Broadway's Brent Barrett as Mr. Darling/Hook. Brent has entertained millions of fans around the world from Broadway (Frank Butler in Annie Get Your Gun, Maximilian in Candide, Billy Flynn in Chicago) to the West End, concerts halls, recording studios, film and television. Kim Crosby (Cinderella in the original Into the Woods, Sarah Brown in Guys and Dolls, Jerry's Girls) returns to play Mrs. Darling.
Peter Pan is produced by McCoy Rigby Entertainment, Nederlander Presentations, Albert Nocciolino in association with Larry Earl Payton, Michael Filerman, Heni Koenigsberg and La Mirada Theatre For The Performing Arts. Direction is by Glenn Casale who directed the 1999 Tony Award nominated and Emmy winning Peter Pan starring Cathy Rigby. Mr. Casale has been a resident at the California Musical Theatre for almost 23 seasons where he has directed over 550 shows. The flying sequence choreographer, Paul Rubin, "The Fly Guy", has choreographed some of the most memorable flying sequences from the Tony Award winning Broadway production of Wicked to Cathy Rigby's Emmy Award winning DVD of Peter Pan. He has flown Cathy in over 1,500 performances and choreographed flying sequences in over 300 different productions of Peter Pan in more than 10 countries. The creative team includes Patti Columbo (Choreographer), Bruce Barnes (Musical Director), Michael Gilliam (Lighting Design), Julie Ferrin (Sound Design), Sean Boyd (Fight Director) and Julia Flores (Casting Director).
TUTS will offer several special events in conjunction with the show to make for an unforgettable musical experience:
• Peter Pan Film Screening: Monday, Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. o Join TUTS for a free screening of Disney's 1953 animated film at Sundance Cinemas, located at downtown Houston's Bayou Place. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Culture + Cuisine: Wednesday, Dec. 10 - Sunday, Dec. 23 o Make it the perfect night with a delicious dinner before the show. Enjoy special pricing on a set 3-course meal followed by an orchestra level seat at the show. A shuttle is available on request to travel between the partner restaurants and Hobby Center. These dinner packages are available in conjunction with all evening performances. o For more information or to purchase a dinner package, visit TUTS.com/CultureCuisine or call the box office at 713-558-8887.
• OUT@TUTS Post-Show Cast Party: Thursday, Dec. 13 o A post-show, cabaret-style event at Artista Restaurant for TUTS' GLBT friends. Visit TUTS.com/OUT for more information.
• Season Workshop for Students: Friday, Dec. 14 from 5 – 7 p.m. o Join the fun and learn musical numbers from the Humphreys School of Musical Theatre's "Lost Boys," straight out of the Peter Pan cast. This workshop is recommended for ages 7 to 12. Visit TUTS.com/Events to take advantage of this workshop.
• Breakfast with Santa: Saturday, Dec. 15 and 22 o Celebrate the holidays with the Peter Pan Breakfast with Santa Package! Get the day started by having breakfast with Santa at 9 a.m. at the Downtown Aquarium, followed by an all-day exhibition and ride pass to the entertainment complex. Top off the day with a 2 p.m. performance of Peter Pan. Visit TUTS.com/Events to purchase this package.
• Neverland Adventure Party: Sunday, December 16 and 23 o Only true adventure seekers are invited to this VIP Adventure Party! Explore Neverland's magical locations, hear a reading from the Peter Pan book, feast on an appetizer and dessert buffet, take pictures with members of the cast and enjoy a VIP ticket to the show. Visit TUTS.com/Events to purchase tickets.
Tickets (starting at only $24) are available on-line at TUTS.com, by phone at (713) 558-TUTS (8887), outside the Houston area at (888) 558-3882, or in person at the Theatre Under The Stars Box Office, located at 800 Bagby at Walker, Monday - Friday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., and Saturday - Sunday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. An audio described performance is available Sunday, Dec. 23 at 2 p.m.; open captioning is available Sunday, Dec. 23 at 7:30 p.m. The Hobby Center is wheelchair accessible. Discounts are available for groups of 15 or more. Group tickets may be purchased by calling (713) 558-8888 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Theatre Under The Stars' 2012-2013 "A Lot To Love" season is generously sponsored by St. Luke's Episcopal Health System. For all of TUTS' shows, air transportation is provided by United Airlines, the official airline of Theatre Under The Stars. Media sponsors include ABC-13 and Houston Chronicle. Season support is funded in part by grants from the City of Houston through the Theater District Association and the Texas Commission on the Arts. Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) is Houston's acclaimed nonprofit musical theatre company whose mission is to enrich life through the experience of quality musical theatre and to positively impact lives beyond the stage through innovative education & community engagement programs. Currently TUTS engages more than 200,000 people annually through productions at Sarofim Hall and Zilkha Hall at the Hobby Center and at Miller Outdoor Theatre. TUTS was the first theatrical organization in Houston to perform free to the public when it was founded in 1968 at Miller Outdoor Theatre in Hermann Park and is the only Houston arts organization that has performed there free to the public every year since the theatre opened. Founded by Frank M. Young and currently under the direction of President and CEO John C. Breckenridge and Artistic Director Bruce Lumpkin, TUTS has produced more than 300 musicals including many local, national and world premieres such as Kopit and Yeston's Phantom, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Jekyll & Hyde, and Irving Berlin's White Christmas as well as critically acclaimed re-inventions of classics Cabaret and Les Miserables. Through its membership in the Independent Presenters Network, TUTS has helped bring Bombay Dreams, 9 to 5, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Spamalot, Legally Blonde, Ragtime, Curtains and The Color Purple to Broadway and ultimately back to Houston audiences.
In support of TUTS' mission, TUTS' Education & Community Engagement programs provide instruction and stage experience for more than 48,000 Houstonians annually. The Humphreys School of Musical Theatre (HSMT) offers technique-driven classes for all ability levels and ages, ranging from four to adult. Through The River Performing and Visual Arts Center (The River), TUTS provides an accessible and inclusive arts education for individuals of all abilities that will enhance their development into confident, balanced individuals. TUTS Education & Community Engagement provides extended on-site programming as well as off-site programming for children in schools, hospitals and other community-based sites. TUTS' community partnerships include collaborations with the Houston Independent School District and Region IV school districts, the YMCA of Greater Houston, M.D. Anderson Children's Cancer Center, Texas Children's Hospital and Shriner's Hospital – Houston, among several other Houston-area organizations. TUTS also annually presents the Tommy Tune Awards, honoring the best and brightest in Houston's high school musical theatre programs.
Photo Credit: Isaac James