EVITA National Tour to Play TUTS, 5/6-18
Theatre Under The Stars (TUTS) invites Houstonians to experience the passion and seduction of the Tony Award-winning elegant masterpiece EVITA, running May 6 - 18 at Hobby Center's Sarofim Hall.
Eva Perón used her beauty and charisma to rise meteorically from the slums of Argentina to the presidential mansion as First Lady. Adored by her people as a champion for the poor, she became one of the most powerful women in the world - while her greed, outsized ambition and fragile health made her one of the most tragic. EVITA tells Eva's passionate and unforgettable true story, and features some of theatre's most beautiful songs, including "Don't Cry for Me Argentina," "Another Suitcase in Another Hall" and "High Flying, Adored."
Directed by Tony and Olivier Award-winner Michael Grandage and choreographed by Tony Award winner Rob Ashford, this is the first new Broadway production of the seven-time Tony Award-winning musical since it debuted on Broadway more than 30 years ago. The New York Post said "The wait was worth it: packed with memorable tunes, EVITA is a modern masterpiece!"
EVITA stars Caroline Bowman as Eva Peron, Tony Award-nominee Josh Young as Che and Sean McLaughlin as Juan Peron. The cast also features Christopher Johnstone as Magaldi and Krystina Alabado as the Mistress.
Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, the famed duo who wrote the music and lyrics for EVITA, have long been involved in the musical theatre world. They are the same creative duo behind the smash hits Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Jesus Christ Superstar. Webber's other works include Cats, Starlight Express, Sunset Boulevard, Aspects of Love and The Phantom of the Opera. Webber's awards include seven Tony Awards, three Grammy Awards, seven Olivier Awards, a Golden Globe, an Oscar, two International Emmys, the Praemium Imperiale, the Richard Rodgers Award for Excellence in Musical Theatre and the Kennedy Center Honor. Rice's other works include Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and Aida. Rice has won 12 Ivor Novello Awards, 3 Tony Awards, and 3 Oscar Awards. Both men have been knighted by HRH Queen Elizabeth II.
Produced by Hal Luftig, Scott Sanders and Troika Entertainment, the creative team includes director Seth Sklar-Heyn, choreographer Chris Bailey, Tony Award-winning scenic and costume designer Christopher Oram, Tony Award-winning lighting designer Neil Austin, Olivier Award-winning sound designer Mick Potter, wig and hair designer Richard Mawbey, projection designer Zachary Borovay, and music supervisor Kristen Blodgette, music director/conductor William Waldrop, orchestrations are by Andrew Lloyd Webber and David Cullen, and dance arrangements are by David Chase.
TUTS will offer several special events in conjunction with the show to make for an unforgettable musical experience:
- Evita Film Screening - Monday, April 28
- Join TUTS for a FREE screening of Evita (starring Madonna) at Sundance Cinemas, located at downtown Houston's Bayou Place. Space is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Parking at Bayou Place is free via validation or reimbursement.
- Teen Night at TUTS - Wednesday, May 7
- TUTS spreads the love of musical theatre to the next generation with Kids Night at TUTS! Any adult who purchases a full price ticket can bring a child under 18 for free. Visit TUTS.com/Events to purchase tickets.
- OUT@TUTS post-show cast party: Thursday, May 8
- A post-show, cabaret-style event at Artista Restaurant for TUTS' GLBT friends. Visit TUTS.com/OUT for more information.
- Culture + Cuisine: Tuesday, May 6 - Sunday, May 18
- Make it the perfect night with a delicious dinner before the show. Options for the Culture + Cuisine packages include Damian's Cusina Italiana, Hard Rock Café, McCormick & Schmick's, and The Houston Club atop One Shell Plaza. Enjoy special pricing on a set 3-course meal followed by an orchestra level seat. For restaurants not within a 3-block walking distance, a shuttle is available on request to travel between the restaurants and Hobby Center. These dinner packages are available in conjunction with all evening performances. For more information or to purchase a dinner package, visit TUTS.com/CultureCuisine or call the box office at 713-558-8887.
Tickets (starting at only $24) are available on-line at TUTS.com, by phone at (713) 558-TUTS (8887), outside the Houston area at (888) 558-3882, or in person at the Theatre Under The Stars Box Office, located at 800 Bagby at Walker, Monday - Friday 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., and Saturday - Sunday 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. An audio described performance is available Sunday, May 18 at 2 p.m.; open captioning is available Sunday, May 18 at 7:30 p.m. Hobby Center is wheelchair accessible. Discounts are available for groups of 10 or more. Group tickets may be purchased by calling (713) 558-8888 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TUTS' presentation of EVITA is brought to Houstonians by the generosity of Ballard Exploration Company, Inc., Haynes and Boone, LLP, The Humphreys Foundation, Northwestern Mutual and Mr. & Mrs. Edward E. Hickam.