The Ringwald Seeks Submissions for 4th Annual Gay Play Series; Deadline 3/16
The Ringwald Theatre is sounding a call for new, original one-act plays to be performed at their 4th annual Gay Play Series (GPS). The Detroit-area's only GLBT short play festival is striving to provide early-career writers the opportunity to see their work produced, giving them what is oft-needed exposure.
Last year's expanded festival expanded in scope and received 175 entries from around the world. From those plays submitted, 11 were produced and Kristian O'Hare's Fanny Packs & Hanky Codes came out victorious after the audience vote.
Artistic Director Joe Bailey said, "It's so gratifying to be prepping the GPS festival for the fourth year! This year's festival is shaping up to be a lot of fun with some great things planned. And, keep your eyes peeled for an exciting announcement coming soon about the past years winning plays!"
The plays submitted should have a performance time of 30 minutes or less and deal directly with issues or characters that are identified as gay/lesbian/transgender, or contain a gay sensibility. From the initial submission pool, a final line up will be chosen by a panel of judges to be performed at The Ringwald Theatre in June, 2013. From those performed, an audience poll will be conducted to select one script that will receive a full production at The Ringwald Theatre.
- All submissions must be submitted electronically to: Submissions@TheRingwald.com
- The submitted script must be the script proposed for presentation, with no major alterations necessary.
- Only one entry per playwright will be accepted.
- Please provide an approximate running time and a one sentence synopsis in the body of the email.
- Neither fax nor paper submissions will be accepted.
- Submission materials will not be returned.
- The deadline for submissions is March 16, 2013.
- The final line-up will be announced in May, 2013.
The Ringwald opened their doors five years ago on May 11, 2007 with Fatal Attraction: A Greek Tragedy. Quickly, The Ringwald became a mainstay of Detroit's theatre community. Past Productions include: Southern Baptist Sissies, Bug, Mercury Fur, RENT, and Evil Dead: The Musical. The Ringwald was named 2009 and 2012 Best Theatrical Troupe by Real Detroit and Best Place to See Local Theatre in 2010, 2011 and 2012 by the readers of Metro Times.