NOW PLAYNG: Miners Alley Presents THE THREE PENNY OPERA thru 10/21
Miners Alley Playhouse presents Bertolt Brecht's classic (with music by Kurt Weill) THE THREE PENNY OPERA playing now through October 21st. A milestone of 20th Century musical theater, THE THREE PENNY OPERA is a biting satire of the post-war rise of capitalism, wrapped up in Weill’s jazzy score and the tale of Macheath (Mack the Knife), a debonair crime lord on the verge of turning his illegal empire into a legitimate business. When Macheath marries Polly Peachum, her father, Jonathan Peachum, is greatly angered. Jonathan Peachum controls the beggars of London, and he strives to get Macheath hanged. Peachum exerts considerable political influence, and eventually Macheath is arrested and imprisoned. At the point of execution, in an unrestrained parody of a happy ending, a hard-riding messenger from the Queen dramatically arrives at the last minute, and Macheath is pardoned, and elevated to the title of Baron.
THE THREE PENNY OPERA features (in alphabetical order) Briana Berthiaume (Chorus, Nelly), Erica Lyn Cain (Polly), Richard Cowden (Macheath), Don DeVeux (Mr. Peachum), C.J. Garbo (Chorus, Walt/Bob), Kris Graves (Chorus, Matt), Dana Hart Lubeck (Lucy, Suki, Chorus), Verl Hite (Tiger Brown), T.J. Hogle (Jake/Smith), Mel Horton (Mrs. Peachum), Michael Ingram (Street Singer, Kimbal, Constable, Old Whore), Lisa Morse-Moore (Chorus, Vixen), Lyndsay Palmer (Chorus, Dolly), Juliette Petersen (Chorus, Betty), Daniel Traylor (Chorus, Ned/Jimmy, Beggar Filch), and Megan Van de Hey (Jenny). El Armstrong provides the direction and Rob Gale provides musical accompaniment. Briana Berthiaume, Lyndsay Palmer, and Daniel Traylor are current members of Phamaly Theatre Company. Megan Van de Hey appears courtesy of Actors' Equity.
Miners Alley Playhouse presents THE THREE PENNY OPERA delighting audiences now through October 21. Performances are Fridays and Saturdays at 7:30 p.m.; Sundays at 6 p.m. (PLEASE NOTE: Sunday, October 21 is at 2 p.m.; no 6 p.m. performance that day). Opening night features a hors d’ oeuvres gala reception after the show; audience is invited to join the festivities and mingle with the cast at no extra charge. On Saturday, September 15, Miners Alley holds its "Second Saturday Members Appreciation Night" and conversation with the director, cast and crew after the performance. For tickets of more information, contact the box office at 303-935-3044 or online at www.minersalley.com. Miners Alley Playhouse is located at 1224 Washington Avenue (13th and Washington 2nd floor entrance on 13th) in Golden, CO.
Photo Credit: Sarah Roshan.
Pictured Above: Megan Van de Hey (Photo by Rick Bernstein).
Megan Van de Hey and Cast
Mel Horton and Cast
Mel Horton and Don DeVeux
- BWW Interviews: The Talented Cast of the National Tour of MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET on Icons and Inspirations
- BWW Reviews: The Colorado Ballet Presents an Enchanting Performance in the Classic Fairy tale, CINDERELLA!
- BWW Reviews: The Arvada Center Presents a Solid Yet Tepid Suspense in Agatha Christie's THE MOUSETRAP
- BWW Reviews: Town Hall Presents the Comedy BOEING-BOEING, Amusing but Never Achieves Hilarity
- BWW Reviews: Denver Center Presents an Instant Comedic Smash Hit with THE LEGEND OF GEORGIA MCBRIDE
- BWW Reviews: Curious Theatre Raises the Bar with Their Haunting Masterpiece, THE WHIPPING MAN
- BWW Interview: Denver Center's Matt McGrath on Making GEORGIA MCBRIDE a Legend!
- BWW Reviews: A Surprising Lackluster and Out of Sync National Revival of EVITA at the Denver Center
- BWW Reviews: Boulder's Dinner Theater Creates Hilarious, Medieval Magic with Monty Python's SPAMALOT!
- BWW Reviews: Vintage Theatre Has a Monstrous, Hilarious Hit with YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, The Musical!