Arvada Center Scene Shop Crew's 'Big Shave Off' to Support Men's Health Awareness, 11/1
On Friday, November 1, 2013 at 2:00 p.m. the male crew members of the Arvada Center Scene Shop will gather together and shave their faces to raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer and men's health initiatives. The "big shave off" will take place at the Arvada Center located at 6901 Wadsworth Blvd.
The face shaving movement called "Movember" was started in 2003 by Australian Adam Garone. The name comes from the term "mo" which in Australia is short for moustache. The way it works is simple - on November 1, all participants worldwide shave their faces completely (except for eyebrows!), and then for the entire month of November, grow a moustache. No goatees, no sideburns, just a moustache. Garone's thought was that people would say " 'Ey mate, what's with the mo'?" and then he would explain that he was raising awareness for men's health issues. It worked and has since gone global.
"Getting the entire shop to participate was no small task," said Rob Reynolds, Arvada Center Design Associate. "Some of these guys have not been clean shaven since college, and convincing them not only to shave completely, but then to grow a 70's era moustache, took a little campaigning. But we're all in!"
People can support the Arvada Center team, dubbed the "Shop Dogs" efforts by donating at http://moteam.co/shop-dogs The money raised will go directly to fund programs for prostate and testicular cancer, and men's health awareness.
Movember History: From 30 Mo Bros in Melbourne, Australia in 2003 to 1,127,152 Mo's in 2012, Movember, through the power of the moustache has become a truly global movement that is changing the face of men's health.
2012 Movember Facts:
- Participating countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and USA
- 1,127,152 Mo Bros and Mo Sistas participate worldwide
- Funds Raised: USD $147.0 million
- Movember is ranked in the top 100 best NGOs (charity), in the world, by the Global Journal based on three key main criteria: impact, innovation and sustainability. To put that in context, there are an estimated 5 million NGOs around the world.
- For additional information go to www.movember.com.