Eugene O'Neill Theater Center Now Accepting Submissions for Young Playwrights Festival
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Eugene O'Neill Theater Center <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Subject: Eugene O'Neill Theater Center Now Accepting Submissions for 9th Annual Young Playwrights Festival
Reply to the sender
January 14, 2014
For media inquiries, contact:
~NEWS FROM THE O'NEILL~
Eugene O'Neill THEATER CENTER ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS FOR
9th ANNUAL YOUNG PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL
Waterford, CT - The Eugene O'Neill Theater Center is now accepting scripts for its 9th Annual Young Playwrights Festival to be held May 9 - 11, 2014. Following the festival's great success over the past eight years, the O'Neill will again work with local high school and middle school students to develop and stage readings of selected original one-act plays. Scripts will be accepted through February 24, 2014.
Students begin working Friday, May 9 and spend the weekend with their creative team made up of a director, dramaturg and actors to develop and stage their scripts. The development process draws on principles and techniques used during the O'Neill's renowned National Playwrights Conference. With these methods, the students will hone their work, furthering it from the initial isolation of writing to the collaborative process involved in making their script into a living, breathing play.
"Our hope with the Young Playwrights Festival is to help foster the voices of the future by giving young writers the same nurturance and respect as our professional playwrights receive during the summer conferences," says Sophia Chapadjiev, Director of Education and of the Young Playwrights Festival, "We are happy to continue our Guest Playwright and Observership Program which allows an even greater number of students to be involved."
Selected students can expect a rigorous exploration of their work, assistance from professional artists, full rehearsals with their artistic team, and opportunities to revise their play. The Festival concludes with a script-in-hand public reading of the students' work on Sunday, May 11.
Plays will be selected on a competitive basis. Submission requirements are as follows:
• Students between the ages of 12 - 18 are eligible for the Festival.
• Students must submit ten to fifteen pages of original work.
• An application with a completEd Checklist and two copies of the scripts must be received by February 24, 2014.
• Only the work of those able to attend the entire festival, May 9 - 11, 2014, will be considered for inclusion.
Submissions should be sent to:
Young Playwrights Festival
c/o Eugene O'Neill Theater Center
305 Great Neck Road
Waterford, CT 06385
- MTG to Stage SWEENEY TODD, 4/25-5/3
- Micah McCain to Encore BROADWAY CREDITS at The Duplex, 5/5 & 5/16
- Fells Point Corner Theatre to Present AMADEUS, 5/2-6/1
- Gigi Brooks to Introduce Pilz4Jazz in Exclusive NYC Event, 4/26-27
- Brokechella 2014 Announces Puppychella, Augmented Reality Programs, Artists and More for This Weekend