Deadline for American Blues Theater's 2014 Blue Ink Playwriting Award Set for 9/1
Producing Artistic Director Gwendolyn Whiteside and American Blues Theater, Chicago's second oldest Equity ensemble, announce the deadline for submissions for the Blue Ink Playwriting Award is Sunday, Sept. 1 at 11:59 p.m. The Blue Ink Playwriting Award was created in 2010 to support new work. Competition rules are attached to this e-mail. Playwrights may only submit one (1) manuscript each year for consideration. The winning play will be selected by American Blues Theater's award-winning Ensemble. The winner of this annual competition will be awarded the Blue Ink Playwriting Award of $1,000 and receive a staged reading at American Blues Theater in Chicago. For information on submission policy and more details, please go americanbluestheater.com.
Previous winners include Elaine Romero's Graveyard of Empires (2013), Christina Gorman's American Myth (2012) and Stephanie Walker's American Home (2011). In addition we've named four (4) finalists and fourteen honorable mentions.
Blue Ink Playwriting Award requirements include:
1. This contest is restricted to plays written in the English language. Worldwide submissions are accepted.
2. Submissions must be original, unpublished full-length plays written in English. Translations, musicals, and children's plays are not accepted.
3. Playwrights may submit only one manuscript per year.
4. Plays that have been professionally produced or published are not eligible. Plays that have had a workshop, reading, or non-professional production will be considered.
5. Plays may not be under option or scheduled for professional production or publication at the time of submission.
6. American Blues Theater reserves the Right-of-First-Refusal to produce the World-premiere of the winning manuscript for one year beginning on date of the public announcement on February 27, 2014.
7. Plays must be sent as a word document or pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Send the $5 administrative fee to: American Blues Theater, 1016 N. Dearborn, Chicago, IL 60610. You may pay online at http://www.americanbluestheater.com/about-blues/new-work/blue-ink-submission-guidelines/, send a personal or cashier's check, or cash. You will receive notification of your completed submission-both manuscript and payment-via e-mail.
American Blues Theater's multi-generational and inter-disciplined Ensemble & Artistic Affiliates comprise all aspects of theater, television and film. As of 2013, American Blues Theater has individually received more than 120 Joseph Jefferson Awards celebrating excellence in Chicago theater, two Pulitzer Prize nominations, two Academy Awards and nominations, three Golden Globe Awards and nominations, 13 Emmy Awards and nominations, six Writers' Guild Awards, 20 Black Theatre Alliance Awards and nominations, 21 After Dark Awards and multiple regional theater awards from New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C. and Florida. American Blues Theater is the second-oldest Equity Ensemble theater in Chicago. The 38-member Ensemble has nearly 500 combined years of collaboration on stage.