Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center to Host High School Playwriting Festival
The Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center (soon to be the Appell Center for the Performing Arts) is proud to announce its second annual High School Playwriting Festival, with performances at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 29, 2017, in the Capitol Theatre, 50 N. George St., York.
The Festival is designed to encourage York County high school students to create and express their unique perspective through the writing of 10-minute plays. Each year, 10 distinguished plays are selected from 40 to 50 submissions, and given a director, design team and a cast, and then performed on the Strand Capitol stage. This year, 30 actors from nine different local schools will be performing.
"This contest gives young playwrights a chance to see their own original work brought to life on a professional stage," said Lauren Burke, Performing Arts Teacher with the Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center. "And, young actors get a chance to be the ones performing on that professional stage! It's an amazing opportunity for students in this area."
The 2017 Distinguished Plays are as follows:
- Behind the Gilded Doors by Nicholas Martinez, Central York High School
- Blue Jay on High by Paige Dern, Dover Area High School
- Chameleon by Gavin P. McCabe, Central York High School
- Crowded Room by Kathryn Seigle, Dover Area High School
- Don't Go Into the Woods by Lauren Jasitt, Central York High School
- Lewis and Clark and the Data Crisis by Aubrie Wise, Red Lion Senior High School
- Phantom Force by Roselyn Spence, Dover Area High School
- The Red Victor by Isaac Embry, Central York High School
- The Socialite by Hannah Kibler, Central York High School
- Stranger than Strange by Lillian Hoover, West York Area High School
The Strand Capitol Performing Arts Center enriches the community through performing arts, education and entertainment. Featuring two historic theaters - the 1,262-seat Strand Theatre and the 450-seat Capitol Theatre - the Strand Capitol brings some of the biggest names in live, professional performing arts along with impactful education programs.