Sheridan as Hedda

mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan as Hedda#1
Posted: 9/7/12 at 2:40am
Well, we can make it official. Sheridan Smith can do anything. I saw the second preview of the new Hedda Gabler at the Old Vic last night and was pretty much overwhelmed by her riveting performance in this most difficult of roles.

Hedda is a nasty piece of work, contemptuous, wilfully destructive, lashing out at others for no apparent reason and Sheridan is all of that but she's also deeply vulnerable, a woman on the verge right from the get go. Beneath the pretty smile she's in constant torment and you feel for her even as you're appalled at what she's doing. I have seen the play twice before but never felt emotionally involved in it - this time I did.

It's an excellent production, lots of nice touches and wonderful performances from Adrian Scarborough as Tesman, Hedda's overgrown boy of a husband and Fenella Woolgar as the frantic Thea Elvsted. The only sour note for me was Brian Friel's "version" (not translation) of the play. For some reason he felt the need to lumber Judge Brack (Darrell D'Silva) with a penchant for American colloquialisms. When was the last time you heard "Gee Whiz" and "Making Whoopee" in an Ibsen play? It was funny the first time but got old fast.

But so what. Sheridan Smith is luminous. Brava!

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
Updated On: 9/7/12 at 02:40 AM
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sheridan as Hedda#2
Posted: 9/7/12 at 9:20am
Think she's going to bag her third consecutive Olivier Award next year, this time, quite rightly for Best Actress
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan as Hedda#2
Posted: 9/7/12 at 9:34am
If she does, she'll only have supporting actress in a musical left to win until she's won all of them!
Phantom of London Profile PhotoPhantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan as Hedda#3
Posted: 9/7/12 at 9:42am
Glad you enjoyede this Mallado and hope I enjoy it as much as you when I seem this.

What do you say next about Sheridan, apart from she is one of the best actresses in the world.
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan as Hedda#4
Posted: 9/7/12 at 10:42am
From the moment I heard about this, I thought it had the potential to be a really excellent production. Having seen Sheridan Smith on stage previously, there is something about her which is so utterly convincing and compelling. Am looking forward very much to seeing this production, albeit not until very late on in the run.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sheridan as Hedda#5
Posted: 9/7/12 at 12:04pm
I'm super excited to see this tomorrow. Thanks for the early news.

Sheridan was lovely in legally blonde but Flare Path was a whole different level, sounds like shes climbed upwards again.
Musicaldudepeter
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sheridan as Hedda#6
Posted: 9/7/12 at 5:32pm
Yeah she won the Olivier for Best actress in a musical for Legally Blonde, and last year won the gong for Supporting Performance in a Play for Flare Path and I see no reason why she won't be a shoo in for best actress in a play for this Hedda.
jaqs Profile Photojaqs Profile Photo
jaqs
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sheridan as Hedda#7
Posted: 9/8/12 at 6:17pm
Visually it's very beautiful, stunning costumes for the women and men, fabulous set.

Sheridan transforms again and she and Scarborough are a joy to watch, even, or especially when she's being a total bitch.

MusicalBoy Profile PhotoMusicalBoy Profile Photo
MusicalBoy
Broadway Star
Broadway Star
Sheridan as Hedda#8
Posted: 9/9/12 at 10:33am
So excited to have just booked for this (great deal for Under 25's), was wondering if anybody knew anything about how the view from the front row would be, I'm trying not to be distressed by the fact that, barring myself, it seems to be almost entirely avoided.
mallardo Profile Photomallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan as Hedda#9
Posted: 9/9/12 at 12:35pm
The front row is a good seat. I didn't sit there but I have in the past (Duchess of Malfi) and it was great. The stage is not high.
Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!
ClapYo'Hands Profile PhotoClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan as Hedda#10
Posted: 9/9/12 at 8:33pm
Probably the best front row in town. Plenty of legroom too!
theatrepaul Profile Phototheatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
Broadway Legend
Broadway Legend
Sheridan as Hedda#12
Posted: 11/9/12 at 7:40pm
Wow, what an incredible evening of theatre. Every aspect of Hedda Gabler is top class. Sets, lighting and costumes are stunning and there isn't s weak link in the cast, led by the outstanding Sheridan Smith who delivers a devastating performance. She is fast becoming one of our great stage actresses. This production is theatre at its very best.

BROADWAYWORLD TV

Save $$$ on Tickets to: