BWW Reviews: Kelly Clinton Plays the Metropolitan Room
Halloween came early to the Metropolitan Room last night because a room full of cabaret connoisseurs were treated to a wonderfully entertaining show by an extremely beautiful and multi - talented performer.
Kelly Clinton was born in Teaneck but for the last 20 years has resided in Las Vegas. Her "Cabaret Act" which is really a one women show is a well constructed tour de force, which employs her remarkable abilities as an actress, comedienne, singer and impressionist. When Kelly does her impersonations she weaves her own infectious personality into the characters, which then bring them to life in a wonderfully new way. She take her audience back & forth, up & down, through her journey from New Jersey to Las Vegas, and through it all you keep seeing the genius of Lucille Ball & Carol Burnett with purely Kelly Clinton charm. Watching her I could't help but think how perfectly she would fit on SNL. Her vocals were first-rate and her back up band created the perfect musical moods for all of her songs. In fact, it was one of the few times I liked the combination of a pianist who also played synthesizer. The arrangements so tastefully blended the two instruments that there was not a hint of artificiality.
For me, an added bonus was watching the reaction of Kelly's husband Clint Holmes (who is currently appearing at The Carlyle) enjoying Kelly's performance. His facial expressions mimicked those of the audience---pure delight at watching a wonderful entertainer.
Kelly's band consists of: Musical director Michael Clark (piano/synthesizer), Jeff Ganz (bass)
and Sherrie Maricle (drums).
Photo Credit: Stephen Sorokoff
The Song List
Michael Clark, Kelly Clinton, Bill Fayne
Johnny Rogers & Kelly Clinton
Coleen Sterling & Kelly Clinton
- Photo Coverage: Jimmy Webb Plays The Iridium
- Photo Coverage: Shirley Jones Makes Cafe Carlyle Debut!
- Photo Coverage: Matt Baker and Marissa Mulder Featured in Le Cirque's Musical Mondays
- Photo Coverage: Barbara Carroll Duo Play Birdland
- Photo Coverage: MAUDE MAGGART Plays CAFE CARLYLE
- Photo Coverage: Amanda McBroom Plays the Colony Hotel in Palm Beach
- Photo Coverage: Friars Club Honors Nicole Henry
- Photo Coverage: THE TRIBUTE ARTIST Cast Celebrates Opening Night
- Photo Coverage: Inside Opening Night of Primary Stages' THE TRIBUTE ARTIST
- Photo Coverage: Will & Anthony Nunziata Return to 54 Below