BWW Reviews: Clint Holmes Brings REMEMBERING BOBBY SHORT to the Cafe Carlyle
Missing the Presidential debate to attend the exciting and elegant opening of Clint's show at the Carlyle (JFK) brought this phrase to mind. "I knew Bobby Short, Mr. Holmes (dramatic pause) and I'm sure that he was in the room last night, smiling, and just as overwhelmed and captivated by your talent as your star studded audience was."
What do Clint Holmes the Las Vegas super entertainer and Bobby Short the sophisticated New York pianist/singer have in common? Mr. Short's performance footprint was 3 feet square as he sat at the Carlyle piano, and Mr. Holme's uses, the entire stage, but they both have the ability to make you understand songs you've heard many times before in a new, gripping and unexpected way. "Remembering Bobby Short" is not an attempt to imitate the legendary performer. It is a respectful and heartfelt tribute to Mr. Short and the songs he sang. Just when you thought you knew everything about Clint Holmes he surprises you with this masterpiece of a Cabaret Show. Clint "You're the Top!
Jeffrey Neiman, music director supplied the wonderful & enthusiastic keyboard sounds as did Jay Leonhart (bass) and Sherrie Maricle (drums). An added treat was the original Bobby Short Band which joined for the later part of the show. John Eckert (trumpet), Mike Christianson (Trombone) and Patience Higgins (Saxophone/Flute)
The show was directed by Larry Moss, Created and Produced by Cecila Joyce Johnson and the executive Producer was Richard Dory.
Photo Credit: Stephen Sorokoff
Music Director Jeffrey Neiman & Clint Holmes
Jeffrey Neiman & Clint Holmes
- Photo Coverage: Marc Kudisch & Jeffry Denman Play 54 Below!
- Photo Coverage: Shana Farr Brings IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT to the Laurie Beechman Theatre
- Photo Coverage: Ann Hampton Callaway and Liz Callaway Return to 54 Below with SIBLING REVELRY
- Photo Coverage: Lucie Arnaz Brings SPRING IS HERE to Cafe Carlyle
- Photo Coverage: Len Cariou, Penny Fuller, Lee Roy Reams & More Take Part in 54 SINGS APPLAUSE
- Photo Coverage: Carolee Carmello, Telly Leung & More Sing at BROADWAY SHOWSTOPPERS at 54 Below
- Photo Coverage: Haley Swindal Brings PLAY TO WIN to 54 Below
- Photo Coverage: Le Cirque Cafe's MUSICAL MONDAYS Features Diane Marino Quartet
- Photo Coverage: Sally Wilfert Returns to 54 Below!