BWW Reviews: Clint Holmes Brings REMEMBERING BOBBY SHORT to the Cafe Carlyle
Missing the Presidential debate to attend the exciting and elegant opening of Clint's show at the Carlyle (JFK) brought this phrase to mind. "I knew Bobby Short, Mr. Holmes (dramatic pause) and I'm sure that he was in the room last night, smiling, and just as overwhelmed and captivated by your talent as your star studded audience was."
What do Clint Holmes the Las Vegas super entertainer and Bobby Short the sophisticated New York pianist/singer have in common? Mr. Short's performance footprint was 3 feet square as he sat at the Carlyle piano, and Mr. Holme's uses, the entire stage, but they both have the ability to make you understand songs you've heard many times before in a new, gripping and unexpected way. "Remembering Bobby Short" is not an attempt to imitate the legendary performer. It is a respectful and heartfelt tribute to Mr. Short and the songs he sang. Just when you thought you knew everything about Clint Holmes he surprises you with this masterpiece of a Cabaret Show. Clint "You're the Top!
Jeffrey Neiman, music director supplied the wonderful & enthusiastic keyboard sounds as did Jay Leonhart (bass) and Sherrie Maricle (drums). An added treat was the original Bobby Short Band which joined for the later part of the show. John Eckert (trumpet), Mike Christianson (Trombone) and Patience Higgins (Saxophone/Flute)
The show was directed by Larry Moss, Created and Produced by Cecila Joyce Johnson and the executive Producer was Richard Dory.
Photo Credit: Stephen Sorokoff
Music Director Jeffrey Neiman & Clint Holmes
Jeffrey Neiman & Clint Holmes
- Photo Coverage: Jimmy Webb Plays The Iridium
- Photo Coverage: Shirley Jones Makes Cafe Carlyle Debut!
- Photo Coverage: Matt Baker and Marissa Mulder Featured in Le Cirque's Musical Mondays
- Photo Coverage: Barbara Carroll Duo Play Birdland
- Photo Coverage: MAUDE MAGGART Plays CAFE CARLYLE
- Photo Coverage: Amanda McBroom Plays the Colony Hotel in Palm Beach
- Photo Coverage: Friars Club Honors Nicole Henry
- Photo Coverage: THE TRIBUTE ARTIST Cast Celebrates Opening Night
- Photo Coverage: Inside Opening Night of Primary Stages' THE TRIBUTE ARTIST
- Photo Coverage: Will & Anthony Nunziata Return to 54 Below