WIZARD OF OZ & More Set for TCM's Classic Film Festival
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) has announced that six of their classic films with upcoming tent-pole Blu-ray™ anniversary and special editions will be featured at the 2014 TCM Classic Film Festival from April 10-13 in Hollywood.
The films include Jerry Lewis' celebrated comedy The Nutty Professor (50th anniversary); Mel Brooks' comedy classic Blazing Saddles (40th anniversary); the timeless The Wizard of Oz 75th anniversary, now in stunning IMAX® 3D; The Women (75th anniversary), and newly-restored versions of the 1939 Oscar®-winner Gone with the Wind (75th anniversary), and William Friedkin's cult suspense thriller Sorcerer which will have its U.S. premiere.
TCM has also scheduled several special events to accompany the participating Warner films:
· Mel Brooks will appear before the screening of Blazing Saddles at the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX® onFriday, April 11, at 9 p.m.
· William Friedkin will be interviewed by film historian Eddie Muller at Club TCM Friday, April 11, at 4 p.m.Friedkin will discuss his career, and will sign copies of his autobiography, The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir. His film, Sorcerer will screen Saturday, April 12 at 9:15 p.m. at the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX®.
· TCM will honor Jerry Lewis with a hand and footprint ceremony in front of the TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX® (Saturday, April 12 at 10 a.m.), and then The Nutty Professor will be screened later that evening (El Capitan Theater at 6:15 p.m.), with Lewis taking part in a Q&A moderated by actress/producer Illeana Douglas, prior to the screening.
· Emmy Award®-winning producer and best-selling author John Fricke will celebrate the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz with a talk entitled Judy Garland: A Legendary Film Career. (Sunday, April 13 at 1:30 p.m). Screening to follow that evening at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX® at 7:30 p.m.
· To celebrate the 75th anniversary of Gone with the Wind, a selection of storyboard and concept art paintings and other fascinating items will be on display at Club TCM in the lobby of the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. Screening will take place at TCL Chinese Theatre IMAX®, Sunday, April 13, at 1:30 p.m.
· The Women will be shown at the El Capitan Theater on Saturday, April 12, at 9:30 PM, with a pre-screening discussion led by actress Anna Kendrick.
About the New Editions from WBHE
The Nutty Professor 50th Anniversary Collector's Edition
Lewis directed, stars in, and co-wrote (with Bill Richmond) the parody of the classic "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" tale. Mr. Lewis has helped compile entertaining Extra content for this release, highlights of which include a new featurette, Jerry Lewis: No Apologies, an intimate look at "The King of Comedy"; a 48-page book of the film's original story boards; a 44-page book of excerpts from Jerry's cutting script with personal notes; and a recreated "Being a Person" book, written by Jerry for the film's crew. Two other well-known Lewis comedies,Cinderfella and The Errand Boy will also be included. (Debuts June 3)
Blazing Saddles 40th Anniversary Blu-ray
A new 40th Anniversary Blu-ray Edition will include a new featurette Blaze of Glory: Mel Brooks' Wild, Wild Westwith Mel Brooks reflecting on his own movie-making chutzpah. The new edition will also contain 10 quotable art cards, vintage Extra content including Brooks' commentary, cast reunion documentary, and "Black Bart," the 1975 television pilot inspired by the movie. (May 6)