VIDEO: Natalie Wood Death Investigated on CBS THIS MORNING
A new coroner's report on the 1981 death of Hollywood star Natalie Wood suggests her injuries could be more consistent with an assault than an accident, CBS News Senior Correspondent John Miller revealed today, Jan. 14, 2013, on CBS THIS MORNING on the CBS Television Network (7:00 AM – 9:00 AM). Watch the interview in full below.
Below is a transcript of the interview:
ROSE: So how significant is this, and what could it change?
MILLER: It could be very significant, because it shows that the coroner is now going down the same path as the sheriff's homicide investigators, which is they have real questions about the circumstances of Natalie Wood's death or that it should have ever been labeled an accident based on the medical evidence. Now, the sheriff's working with the evidence of the investigation, and so far those haven't come together, but I think what you're going to see is more impetus for the sheriff's homicide investigation to go forward.
O'DONNELL: We asked you, you know, is this a big deal, and you've said it is. And you've talked to people who have read through this whole report and their reaction has been, what about some of the revelations we're going to learn?
MILLER: Basically, they're saying that this is not a new autopsy. This is the old autopsy with a supplemental report written on the bottom where the current medical examiner, the coroner of L.A. County, basically takes-calls into question every finding about the injuries or the conclusion that it's an accident. And when you take the circumstances as we've now come to learn them, Natalie Wood was, you know, in her night gown in bed, she supposedly goes out to retie this dinghy. She can't swim. She's afraid of the dark. She's afraid of the water. It sounds very unlikely she would have done that, especially when the captain-the skipper was there and he was awake, and she could have told him to do that.