U.S. Beach Volleyball Teams Battle for Gold on Tonight's OLYMPICS Coverage
Team USA's defending two-time Olympic beach volleyball gold medalists Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings look to claim a three-peat gold against fellow Americans Jen Kessy and April Ross Wednesday night on NBC.
Team USA track and field runs for the gold tomorrow night on NBC, with three entries in the 200m final. Two-time silver medalist Allyson Felix is joined in the race by 400m gold medalist Sanya Richards-Ross and 100m silver medalist Carmelita Jeter.
NBC Sports Network airs live coverage of Team USA men's basketball quarterfinal vs. Australia at 5 p.m. ET.
NBC's daytime coverage features Team USA men's volleyball quarterfinal vs. Italy live (ET/CT) at 11 a.m. ET. Team USA men's water polo looks to win its quarterfinal game vs. Croatia live (ET/CT) on NBC at 3 p.m. Then at 5 p.m. ET, Team USA men's basketball takes on Australia live (ET/CT).
All of the events mentioned above, and all other events will be live streamed on NBCOlympics.com and the NBC Olympics Live Extra app, available on mobile devices and tablets. The vast majority of live stream content will only be available to authenticated cable, satellite or telco customers.
For more information on live streaming, please go to: NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra
For the full schedule of NBCUniversal's Olympic coverage, please go to: NBCOlympics.com
Listings subject to change (all times ET unless otherwise noted). Changes are italicized.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 8 (Day 12)
10 a.m. - 5 p.m. (9 a.m. CT/PT)
Track and Field - Qualifying Rounds
Men's Water Polo Quarterfinal - U.S. vs. Croatia (LIVE)
Men's Cycling - BMX Qualifying (LIVE)
Equestrian - Individual Jumping Gold Medal Final
Women's Beach Volleyball - Bronze Medal: Larissa/Juliana (Brazil) vs. Zhang/Xue (China) (LIVE)
Canoeing - Sprint Gold Medal Finals
Men's Volleyball Quarterfinal - U.S. vs. Italy (LIVE)
· Key qualifying rounds in track and field, including the women's 800m, men's 5000m, men's pole vault and women's hammer throw. The 5000m features training partners Mo Farah of Great Britain and Galen Rupp of the United States, who won gold and silver respectively in the 10,000m.
· LIVE (ET/CT) coverage of the U.S. men's water polo team in the quarterfinal round. If they win in this round, the Americans are guaranteed to play for a medal. The U.S. men earned a surprise silver in Beijing, but are focused on gold in London. Led by captain Tony Azevedo, the team sacrificed hundreds of thousands of dollars collectively by not playing professionally overseas this year to train together for the Olympics.
· LIVE (ET/CT) coverage of men's BMX qualifying, as riders in one of the newest Olympic sports attempt to position themselves best for the final.
· LIVE (ET/CT) coverage of the bronze medal match in beach volleyball from historic Horse Guards Parade.
· Plus, the individual jumping gold medal final in equestrian and canoeing's sprint gold medal final.
8 p.m. - 11:05 p.m.
Track and Field - Gold Medal Finals
Men's 110M Hurdles
Women's 400M Hurdles
Women's Long Jump
Women's Diving - Platform Qualifying
Women's Beach Volleyball - Gold Medal Final: May-Treanor/Walsh Jennings (U.S.) vs. Kessy/Ross (U.S.)
· The stars are out on the track Wednesday night as Team USA goes for what could be a major gold rush. In the women's 200m final, the Americans will go toe-to-toe with Jamaica's top threats, including two-time Olympic champion Veronica Campbell-Brown. Los Angeles native Allyson Felix, the two-time Olympic silver medalist in the event, will attempt to claim an elusive gold. Teammate Carmelita Jeter is hoping her unparalleled 100m speed can last as she doubles her distance. While Sanya Richards-Ross, the 400m gold medalist is attempting to complete a rare 200m-400m double. In the 400m hurdles, a gold for reigning world champion Lashinda Demus would help erase the pain of missing out on the Games in Beijing when she finished fourth at Trials. It would also be a family affair: Demus, who gave birth to twin boys in June 2007, is coached by her mother and managed by her husband. In the 110m hurdles, a stacked field features top Americans Jason Richardson and Aries Merritt, who have both won world titles in the past year, squaring off against the 2008 gold medalist, Dayron Robles of Cuba (2008 gold, world record holder). And in the long jump, Brittney Reese has dominated her event like no other athlete since Beijing, and in London hopes to collect the one piece of hardware she still needs: Olympic gold.
· The women's beach volleyball tournament concludes with the gold medal final. Americans Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings, who swept through the Athens and Beijing tournaments without dropping a set, are the two-time defending champions.
· At the Aquatics Centre, America's high divers take to the 10m platform, the same event that produced the last U.S. diving medal, when Laura Wilkinson won gold in Sydney. Twelve years later, among the new generation of women taking the three-story Olympic plunge will be Brittany Viola, whose father Frank was the 1987 World Series MVP with the Minnesota Twins.
11:05 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.
12:05 a.m. - 1:05 a.m. (ET/PT)
Track and Field - Qualifying Rounds
Women's Cycling - BMX Qualifying (LIVE)
· Coverage includes qualifying action in track and field as well as LIVE coverage of women's BMX, as riders in one of the newest Olympic sports attempt to position themselves best for the final.
NBC SPORTS NETWORK
6 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Men's Basketball - Quarterfinals (LIVE)
U.S. vs. Australia (LIVE)
Russia vs. Lithuania (LIVE)
France vs. Spain (LIVE)
Brazil vs. Argentina (LIVE)
Men's Handball - Quarterfinals
Iceland vs. Hungary (LIVE)
Sweden vs. Denmark (LIVE)
Spain vs. France
Men's Table Tennis - Team Bronze Medal: Germany vs. Hong Kong (LIVE)
NBC SPORTS NETWORK HIGHLIGHTS
· A basketball fan's dream - LIVE coverage of all four men's basketball quarterfinals, including the U.S. team. Twenty years removed from the original Dream Team, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and company continue their pursuit of a second straight Olympic gold. Plus women's semifinal boxing.
9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Men's Volleyball - Quarterfinals (LIVE)
Argentina vs. Brazil (LIVE)
Poland vs. Russia (LIVE)
Men's Water Polo - Quarterfinals (LIVE)
Australia vs. Serbia (LIVE)
Spain vs. Montenegro
Italy vs. Hungary (LIVE)
Women's Wrestling - Gold Medal Finals
Men's Table Tennis - Team Gold Medal Final: China vs. Korea
· LIVE coverage of quarterfinals in men's volleyball and men's water polo, with the winners guaranteed to play for a medal. Plus gold medal finals in women's wrestling.
5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Men's Boxing - Quarterfinals
Women's Boxing - Semifinals
Men's Handball - Quarterfinals: Croatia vs. Tunisia (LIVE)
· The men's boxing tournament continues with quarterfinal bouts.