UPDATED Scoop: ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS on NBC - Friday, February 22, 2013
NBC, Scoop, ROCK CENTER WITH BRIAN WILLIAMS
- We've heard a lot this week about Chinese computer hackers breaking into major American companies and institutions. David Faber sits down with the man who has run America's top spy agencies, the CIA and NSA, General Mike Hayden, who describes the growing Chinese cyber threat. Plus, for the first time, viewers will hear from an insider about how Chinese hackers broke into his telecommunications company, Nortel. And the head of the security company, RSA, hired to protect businesses and governments against hackers, speaks out about the threat to the American economy and national security.
- Mary Carillo, who profiled double amputee Oscar Pistorius for "Rock Center" last spring, reports from South Africa. Carillo speaks with those closest to Pistorius and his former girlfriend Reeva Steenkamps, on the fall of this global Olympic icon.
- Dr. Nancy Snyderman investigates how breast cancer has affected a group of men at Camp Lejeune. The Marines and their families say that their disease was caused by drinking contaminated water on the base.
- With fewer than 1,600 pandas left in the wild, China is trying to save its national symbol from extinction by breeding them in captivity. At the Chengdu Research base for Giant Panda breeding, they've developed a state-of-the-art fertility clinic where high-tech science is used to create as many baby pandas as possible. It's one of the most massive and expensive efforts to save a species; some scientists are not in favor of the movement. Meet the baby pandas and the critics of the breeding program. Kate Snow reports
- Brian Williams wraps up the broadcast with a few interesting items from the week that was. #ROCKBOTTOM