OWN Scores Double Digit Ratings Growth in 2012
For the year of 2012, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network has scored double-digit ratings growth in both primetime and total day across key demos versus 2011 (primetime up +32% W25-54 and +30% total viewers; total day up +36% W25-54 and +44% total viewers).
The network has achieved its fourth consecutive quarter and 11th consecutive month of year-over-year growth in primetime and total day across key demos, posting double-digit gains.
For the year, OWN's Saturday night original series "Iyanla: Fix My Life," "Welcome to Sweetie Pie's" and "Six Little McGhees" were the top three original series among all broadcast and ad-supported cable networks in African-American viewers in the Women 25-54 demo. Additionally, OWN was the year's #15 ad-supported cable network in primetime for African-American Women 25-54.
"Oprah's Next Chapter" (Sundays at 9 p.m.) ranked #1 for the night in W25-54 multiple times throughout the year with numerous episodes scoring over one million viewers:
· Houston Family Interview (March 11) -- 3,498,000 million viewers
· Rihanna (Aug. 19) -- 2,454,000 million viewers
· Pastor Joel Osteen (Jan. 8) -- 1,557,000 million viewers
· Usher (Sept. 16) -- 1,520,000 million viewers
· The Kardashians Part 2 (June 24) --1,209,000 million viewers
· The Kardashians Part 1 (June 17) -- 1,111,000 million viewers
· Steven Tyler (premiere Jan. 1) -- 1,082,000 million viewers
Oprah's inspirational Emmy Award-winning series "Super Soul Sunday" (Sunday at 11 a.m.) featuring conversations with spiritual thought leaders has seen ratings highs, posting triple-digit gains versus year ago numbers (+211% W25-54, +244% P2+). The last five airings of 2012 have been among the highest rated episodes to-date.
In its second season, the critically acclaimed documentary series "Our America with Lisa Ling" (Tuesdays at 10 p.m.) posted triple-digit gains across the key demos versus year ago numbers (+127% W25-54 and +117% total viewers). The third season premieres January 22.
· Prime growth versus year ago: +32% W25-54, +30% total viewers
· Total Day growth versus year ago: +36% W25-54, +44% total viewers
OWN 4Q 2012
· Prime growth versus year ago: +53% W25-54, +60% total viewers
· Total Day growth versus year ago: +36% W25-54, +58% total viewers
OWN December 2012
· Prime growth versus year ago: +44% W25-54, +54% total viewers
· Total Day growth versus year ago: +25% W25-54, +42% total viewers
Source: The Nielsen Company
OWN ratings are coverage ratings.
About OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network
A joint venture between Harpo, Inc. and Discovery Communications, OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network is a multi-platform media company designed to entertain, inform and inspire people to live their best lives. OWN debuted on January 1, 2011 on what was the Discovery Health Channel and is in approximately 80 million homes. The venture also includes the award-winning digital platform, Oprah.com.
Follow on Twitter @OWNTV