NBC NIGHTLY NEWS Delivers Widest Lead Over ABC
"NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams" continued as America's most-watched network evening newscast in both total viewers and adults 25-54 for the week ending October 4, 2013, according to Nielsen Media Research data. Nightly has won in total viewers for 212 consecutive weeks, and in 259 of the past 260 weeks.
Nightly drew its largest audiences in both total viewers and adults 25-54 since the week of April 15, 2013 (the week of the Boston marathon bombing and manhunt). Nightly also delivered its widest lead over ABC in both total viewers and rating A25-54 since the week of July 8, 2013, and widest lead over ABC in adults 25-54 since the week of June 10, 2013.
· Nightly delivered 8.491 million total viewers, +818,000 more than ABC World News' 7.673 million and +1,859,000 more than CBS Evening News' 6.632 million.
· On Tuesday and Wednesday, with all eyes on the government shutdown deadline, Nightly topped ABC by over 1 million total viewers each night.
· Wednesday's advantage of +1.275 million was Nightly's biggest single-day win over ABC since July 10, 2013.
· Nightly averaged a 5.7/12 Household rating, ahead of ABC's 5.2/11 and CBS' 4.4/9.
· Nightly delivered a 1.9 A25-54 rating, +3 tenths ahead of ABC's 1.6 and +5 tenths more than CBS's 1.4 rating.
· Among A25-54 (000), Nightly averaged 2.221 million viewers, +314,000 ahead of World News' 1.907 million, and +589,000 ahead of Evening News' 1.632 million.
· Nightly widened its total viewer advantage over ABC for the fourth consecutive week.
· Of the three network newscasts, Nightly delivered the biggest demo rating gain Versus the prior week (+3 tenths), and best demo rating since the week of May 6, 2013.
· Year-to-year, Nightly posted double the total viewer growth compared to ABC (10% vs. 5%).
· Nightly has won in total viewers for 212 consecutive weeks, and in 259 of the past 260 weeks.
· Nightly has won in viewers A25-54 for 253 of the past 254 weeks.
Patrick Burkey is the executive producer of "NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams." For more news and information, go to www.nbcnightlynews.com, Facebook.com/NBCNightlyNews, or follow on Twitter @nbcnightlynews.