Golf Channel Announces Live Coverage of MASTERS Tournament, 4/8
Golf Channel will dedicate a record number of network resources to cover next week's Masters tournament, delivering nearly 70 total hours of live news and related programming geared toward the first men's major championship of 2013.
Live From the Masters will dominate Golf Channel's daytime and primetime schedules during Masters week with more than 50 live hours from Augusta, Ga., and the network's studio headquarters. Coverage begins Monday and will conclude with a post-tournament show after the last putt drops on Sunday.
Morning Drive: Golf Channel will begin each morning of Masters Week with the latest news, commentary and features on Morning Drive. Monday's show will introduce viewers to all 93 players in the field, from the 14-year-old Guan Tianlang of China to 63-year-old former Masters Champion Tom Watson. With a little help from apparel manufacturers, the Morning Drive team also will give viewers a sneak preview of what select players will be wearing during the week.
Special Guests Joining Coverage: A list of golfing legends scheduled to make appearances during the week include: Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Ben Crenshaw, Ray Floyd, Jose Maria Olazabal, Nick Faldo, Tom Watson, Greg Norman, Johnny Miller and Sandy Lyle.
Live From the Masters Scheduled Features
- Burden of History - As Tiger Woods continues to chase down Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 major championship victories, Golf Channel caught up with other sports superstars who shared insight about records they chased down, including Emmitt Smith (Walter Payton's all-time rushing mark); Cal Ripken (Lou Gehrig's 2,130 consecutive games played); and Michael Phelps (most Olympic medals of all time). Woods, Hank Haney and Johnny Miller also were interviewed for this feature.
- 54-Hole Lead - A closer look from players who describe what it's like sleeping on a 54-hold lead at the Masters.
- Charles Coody - Winning the 1971 Masters was Charles Coody's third and final victory. Golf Channel's Rich Lerner joins Coody as he prepares to make his annual journey to Augusta National to be part of the exclusive group at the Champions Dinner.
- The Shot - How Bubba Watson hit the playoff shot from the Augusta pine straw that won him the 2012 Masters is analyzed by scientists, golf experts and Bubba, himself.
- Bobby Jones - Rich Lerner's essay about golf's legendary amateur and co-founder of the Masters.
GolfChannel.com Digital Coverage
GolfChannel.com will feature expanded editorial content during Masters Week, including up-to-the-minute blogs and fan interaction, including:
- News & Features - Select features during the week will include an oral history of Bubba Watson's playoff shot in 2012 that won him his first green jacket; Tiger Woods' pursuit of Jack Nicklaus' major championship record; Ernie Els' return to the Masters; and point-counterpoint columns about who will win the Masters.
- Live Chats - GolfChannel.com editorial staff will host live chats Thursday-Sunday to keep fans up to date and answer their questions as the action unfolds.
- Exclusive Video Content - GolfChannel.com visitors will be treated to daily web hits throughout the week from Augusta, as well as popular segments from Golf Channel's Live From the Masters.
Notable Masters Week Air Times (all times ET):