George Clooney's THE MONUMENTS MEN Pushed t0 2014
According to the LA Times, George Clooney's THE MONUMENTS MEN, originally set to be released on December 18, has been pushed back to an unspecified date in 2014.
"We just didn't have enough time," Clooney said Tuesday by phone from London. "If any of the effects looked cheesy, the whole movie would look cheesy," said Clooney, who wrote, directs and stars in the film. "We simply don't have enough people to work enough hours to finish it."
Moving the release date to 2014 makes the film ineligible for the upcoming Academy Awards. But Clooney insists that winning awards was not his focus. The film is an adaptation of Robert Edsel's nonfiction book "The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History."
"All we've ever said, from the very beginning, is that we wanted to make a commercial, non-cynical piece of entertainment," Clooney said. His goal was to produce an ensemble film in the style of "The Guns of Navarone." The all-star cast includes Matt Damon, Bill Murray, Jean Dujardin, John Goodman and Cate Blanchett. It was filmed in Germany and England earlier this year.