Due to the unprecedented storm that impacted the entire East Coast, all three morning programs were coded as breakouts for the whole week and are excluded from season averages. Below are bullets for the week of October 29th on GOOD MORNING AMERICA's performance with the breakouts:
News' GOOD MORNING AMERICA drew its most-watched week (5.498 million) in 1 1/2 years and strongest Adults 25-54 performance (2.160 million) in 8 months - since w/o 4/25/11 and w/o 2/27/12, respectively, according to Nielsen Media Research.
* GMA surged on its year-ago week performance by double-digits in both Total Viewers (+15%) and Adults 25-54 (+11%) - 4.778 million and 1.952 million, respectively, on w/o 10/31/11.
* On Tuesday (10/30/12), GMA turned in its strongest telecast in both Total Viewers (6.049 million) and Adults 25-54 (2.444 million) in 1 1/2 years - since the "GMA" telecast of the royal wedding on 4/29/11. Further, it was GMA's 2nd-most-watched telecast in 4 years and 2nd-highest delivery in Adults 25-54 in more than 3 years - since 11/5/08 and 3/3/09, respectively.
* Season to date, GMA stands as the No. 1 morning news program in both Total Viewers and Adults 25-54. In fact, GMA is leading TODAY by its largest season margins in overall viewers (+589,000) and in the key adult news demo (+188,000) in more than 21 years - since at least the 1991-92 season, respectively; Nielsen's electronic database started on September of 1991.
* Season to date GMA is the only morning program to grow in both Total Viewers (+3%) and Adults 25-54 (+3%) versus its year-ago averages (NBC's TODAY is down -17%/-26%, respectively; CBS' THIS MORNING is mixed +3%/-3%, respectively). GMA is seeing its largest overall season audience and best Adults 25-54 performance in 5 years - since the 2007-08 season.
The morning following the Presidential Election:
* On Wednesday, November 7, 2012, the day following the 2012 Presidential Election, GMA outdelivered NBC's TDAY by +196,000 Total Viewers (6.169 million vs. 5.973 million) in post-election coverage, based on Nielsen Fast Affiliate time period data. Compared to 4 years ago (11/5/08), GMA trailed TODAY by 1.202 million (6.056 million vs. 7.258 million). In fact, the Wednesday telecast stands as the first time in more than 20 years that GMA has beaten TODAY in Total Viewers on the post-Presidential Election Day telecast - since before the 1992 Presidential Election; Nielsen's electronic database started on September of 1991.
WEEK OF 10/29/12 TOTAL VIEWERS ADULTS 25-54 HOUSEHOLDS
ABC 5,498,000 1.8/12; 2,160,000 4.1/15
NBC 5,267,000 1.8/13; 2,168,000 4.0/14
CBS 3,167,000 1.0/ 7; 1,235,000 2.4/ 8
Source: The Nielsen Company, NTI Total Viewers and Adults 25-54 Live + SD weeks of 10/29/12, 10/22/12 & 10/31/11, or as dated. Most Current - 2012-2013 Season (9/24 - 11/4/12) and 2011-2012 Season (9/19 - 11/6/11).