Emmy-Winning Docu-Series BORN THIS WAY Returns to A&E 5/16
A&E Network's critically-acclaimed and Emmy(R) award-winning original docuseries BORN THIS WAY returns for a third season with back-to-back hour-long episodes on Tuesday, May 16 at 9PM and 10PM ET/PT.New episodes will continue in the 10 PM ET/PT timeslot the following week for the remainder of the season.
Produced by Bunim/Murray Productions, the series follows a group of seven young adults born with Down syndrome along with their family and friends in Southern California. "Born This Way" provides an intimate look at a diverse group of young men and women with Down syndrome as they pursue their passions and lifelong dreams, explore friendships, romantic relationships and work, all while defying society's expectations. The series also gives voice to the parents, allowing them to talk about the joy their son or daughter brings to their family, and the challenges they face in helping them live as independently as possible.
"'Born This Way' has contributed to a cultural shift in the way individuals with differences are viewed and it remains incredibly rewarding to have such an impactful series on our air," said Elaine Frontain Bryant, EVP and Head of Programming for A&E Network."This season we continue to highlight the shining personalities and incredible abilities of this cast of young adults who, alongside their families, fearlessly represent and celebrate diversity on television."
In season three of "Born This Way," the young adults will journey outside their comfort zone on a quest for greater independence and fulfillment that will include job changes, new living arrangements and evolving romantic relationships. This season will also feature a new charismatic young family facing the challenges and joys of raising a three-year-old, Rocco, with Down syndrome.
"Born This Way" features:
· Cristina- Cristina's family has always said that before she hears wedding bells and begins her life with her fiancé Angel, she must learn to live independently. But when an ideal apartment with support services suddenly becomes available, the entire Sanz' family must wrestle with whether they can actually let one another go.
· Sean- The "ladies man" is back and on the market and fresh off a bumpy trial run sharing a house with roommate Steven. But when the self-professed 'heartbreaker' finds himself embroiled in a love triangle, he may be the one whose heart actually gets broken. And Sean receives medical news and is faced with an unexpected diagnosis.
· Rachel- This is Rachel's "year of yes!" She has decided to embrace the new opportunities that come her way as well as focus on trying to make her lifelong dream of being a working actor come true.She is willing to put everything on the line in order to accomplish her ultimate goal.
· John - John continues to hustle as a rap artist, rhyming wherever he goes. When he's not pushing forward on his career, he is focused on spending more time with his family to deepen the bonds that they share.
· Elena- Elena has decided to embrace her disability rather than running from it and in doing so, she begins to explore her passion and train for a paying position in the food industry. If she continues on this path and stays focused on her goal, the job of her dream awaits.
· Steven- Steven has never been in a real relationship, had a first date, a first kiss or a girl who returned his affection, and that is about to change. Now Steven is head over heels in love, but he will soon learn that love in real life is a far cry from what he has seen in movies.
· Megan- Frustrated by the long-distance relationship with boyfriend Brendan, Megan is spending more time with her new friends in L.A. At a crossroads, she soon embarks on a new journey of the heart. Before Megan can have love and the independent life she craves, she and her mom, Kris, must find a way to disentangle from one another.
In addition to the 2016 Emmy win for Outstanding Reality Program, the show was chosen as one of six honorees for the 2016 Television Academy Honors, an award that recognizes television programming that inspires, informs and motivates.
A&E continues to partner with celebrated global non-profit organization Best Buddies International in support of promoting opportunities and increasing awareness for people living with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
"Born This Way" is produced by Bunim/Murray Productions ("The Real World"). Executive producers for Bunim/Murray are Jonathan Murray, Gil Goldschein and Laura Korkoian. Kasey Barrett and Millee Taggart Ratcliffe serve as co-executive producer. Executive producers for A&E Network are Elaine Frontain Bryant and Shelly Tatro. "Born This Way" is distributed internationally by A+E Networks.
Image courtesy of A&E