Chastain Films Take Top 2 Spots at Weekend Box Office
Jessica Chastain stars in the top two films at this weekend's box office, the horror film 'Mama' and the Oscar-nominated 'Zero Dark Thirty.' The actress, who recently picked up a Golden Globe award for Best Actress in a Drama, is currently starring on Broadway in the 'The Heiress.'
MAMA exceeded studio expectations bringing in over $28 million at this weekend's box office. 'Zero Dark Thirty', which follows the search and killing of 'Osama Bin Laden' trailed right behind in the number two spot.
Chastain currently stars in Broadway's The Heiress as 'Catherine Sloper'. The show also stars Academy Award nominee and Emmy Award winner David Strathairn as Dr. Austin Sloper, the leading man of "Downton Abbey" Dan Stevens as Morris Townsend and Tony Award winner Judith Ivey as Lavinia Penniman. Written by Ruth & Augustus Goetz, The Heiress is directed by two-time Tony Award nominated playwright and director Moisés Kaufman.
Below are estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Hollywood.com.
1. "Mama," $28.1 million.
2. "Zero Dark Thirty," $17.6 million. ($770,000 international.)
3. "Silver Linings Playbook," $11.4 million. ($700,000 international.)
4. "Gangster Squad," $9.1 million. ($5.7 million international.)
5. "Broken City," $9 million.
6. "A Haunted House," $8.3 million. ($1.6 million international.)
7. "Django Unchained," $8.2 million. ($48.1 million international.)
8. "Les Miserables," $7.8 million. ($19.4 million international.)
9. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," $6.4 million. ($13.2 million international.)
10. "The Last Stand," $6.3 million. ($1.3 million international.)