CLIVE DAVIS Stars On 'The Legacy Of' App On Spotify
Legacy Recordings is proud to announce a brand-new series of playlists created by legendary music executive Clive Davis, appearing exclusively on "The Legacy Of" app on digital music subscription service Spotify. The creation of the playlists coincides with the publication of Davis' long-awaited autobiography, The Soundtrack Of My Life(Simon & Schuster).
Spotify users who navigate to "The Legacy Of" app will immediately see Clive as the Featured Artist, "The Record Industry's Most Innovative and Influential Executive." An imbedded Menu provides links to: Albums / Biography / Photos / Playlists / Discography. Users who go to Playlists can seamlessly listen or subscribe to the six new playlists. Each playlist is populated by artists with whom Clive has worked during his extraordinary career at CBS Records (Columbia and Epic and Associated Labels), Arista Records (including LaFace and Bad Boy), and since 2008 in his role as Chief Creative Officer for SONY MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT. The app can be accessed by Spotify users here: http://open.spotify.com/app/legacy
Clive's six playlists comprise: 1) The Soundtrack Of My Life, 2) Best of 2000s, 3) Best of 1990s, 4) Best of 1980s, 5) Best of 1970s, and 6) Best of 1960s.
The Soundtrack Of My Life playlist is unique because it not only presents artists from across all five decades (and all three of Clive's corporate affiliations), but it also provides an audio commentary by Clive for 14 of the 20 selections. The Soundtrack Of My Life playlist on "The Legacy Of" app comprises:
1. "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin + commentary
2. "Sounds of Silence" by Simon & Garfunkel + commentary
3. "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone + commentary
4. "Blinded by the Light" by Bruce Springsteen + commentary
5. "Mandy" by Barry Manilow + commentary
6. "Don't Cry Out Loud" by Melissa Manchester + commentary
7. "All by Myself" by Eric Carmen + commentary
8. "Because the Night" by Patti Smith + commentary
9. "All Out of Love" by Air Supply + commentary
10. "Touch of Grey" by The Grateful Dead
11. "I'll Never Love this Way Again" by Dionne Warwick + commentary
12. "I Knew You Were Waiting For Me" by Aretha Franklin and George Michael + commentary
12. "Smooth" by Carlos Santana featuring Rob Thomas + commentary
13. "Why" by Annie Lennox
14. "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston
15. "Creep" by TLC
16. "Smooth" by Carlos Santana featuring Rob Thomas + commentary
17. "Falling" by Alicia Keys + commentary
18. "I'll Be Missing You" by Puff Daddy featuring Faith Evans
19. "Dance With My Father" by Luther Vandross + commentary
20. "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis
Every selection contains links to related albums or the artists' Spotify page, where users can explore additional catalog.
The Clive Davis playlists were curated by Clive personally and essentially reflect the artists (and in many cases, the specific songs) discussed by Clive in The Soundtrack Of My Life. The autobiography was written in collaboration with Rolling Stonemagazine contributing editor Anthony DeCurtis .
The Best Of 1960s playlist, for example, is entirely comprised of 15 tracks by artists with whom Clive was associated on theColumbia and Epic labels during the last half of that decade: Big Brother & the Holding Company featuring Janis Joplin (two songs); Donovan; the Byrds; the Chambers Brothers; Sly & the Family Stone (two songs); Laura Nyro; Blood, Sweat & Tears;Chicago; Santana; Johnny Cash ; the Hollies; Bob Dylan; and Simon & Garfunkel.
The Best of 1970s playlist (14 tracks) is divided evenly between CBS artists and Arista artists from that decade, beginning with seven CBS artists (Santana, Janis Joplin , Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes, the O'Jays, Bruce Springsteen , Billy Joel , Aerosmith), then seven Arista artists ( Eric Carmen , Barry Manilow , Melissa Manchester , the Outlaws, Patti Smith Group, Raydio featuring Ray Parker, Jr. , Dionne Warwick ).
The Best of 1980s playlist (15 tracks) is populated entirely by Arista artists from that decade: Air Supply, the Alan Parsons Project, the Kinks, Billy Ocean , Ray Parker, Jr. , Thompson Twins, Aretha Franklin , Whitney Houston , Carly Simon , Grateful Dead, Kenny G, Whitney Houston , Expose, Taylor Dayne , and A Flock Of Seagulls.
More On: CBS, Epic, Bruce Springsteen, Barry Manilow, Melissa Manchester, Patti Smith.