ABC's "Last Man Standing" Opens as Top 8 PM Comedy Debut in Over 7 Years
With a big turn-out for the debut of "Last Man Standing," leading into "DWTS: The Results" and "Body of Proof," ABC marked its most competitive Tuesday this season with viewers and young adults. Finishing a strong No. 2 to CBS on the night, ABC (13.0 million and 2.9/7) beat out Fox's Major League Baseball playoff coverage (Detroit-Texas Game 3 = 7.9 million and 2.4/6) by 5.1 million viewers and 21% in Adults 18-49 and NBC's original lineup (2-hour "The Biggest Loser"/"Parenthood" = 5.4 million and 2.0/5) by 7.6 million viewers and by 45% in Adults 18-49.
* In Total Viewers and Adults 18-49, ABC marked Tuesday season highs.
* The Net was up over the same night last year (10.3 million and 2.5/7 on 10/12/10) by double-digit percentages with viewers (+26%) and young adults (+16%).
"Last Man Standing" (8:00-9:00 p.m.)
Opening as TV's biggest 8pm comedy debut in more than 7 years, ABC's 1-hour premiere of "Last Man Standing" finished a strong No. 2 during the 8 o'clock hour among viewers (13.0 million) and young adults (3.5/10) to CBS' top-rated "NCIS," pacing well ahead of Fox's MLB ALCS playoffs and essentially doubling the opening hour of NBC's "The Biggest Loser 12." In addition, the freshman ABC comedy ran No. 1 in the hour and as Tuesday's top-rated show with Adults 18-34 and Women 18-34 (tied w/"Dancing"), while ranking as the night's highest-rated broadcast program with Kids 2-11. A good sign for future viewing, the new series saw its audience grow from its first half-hour to its second half-hour in both viewers (+4%- 12.7 million to 13.2 million) and young adults (+12% - 3.3/10 to 3.7/10).
* ABC's debut of "Last Man Standing" qualifies as TV's most-watched comedy series opener with an 8:00 p.m. start on any night of the week since September 2004, and as the top-rated among Adults 18-49 since September 2006 - since 9/9/04 and 9/18/06, respectively.
* "Last Man Standing" produced ABC's highest Adult 18-49 rating during Tuesday's 8 o'clock hour with regular programming in close to 2 years - since 11/10/09.
* Self starter "Last Man Standing" is the season's 2nd-most-watched new comedy debut, behind only CBS' "Two and a Half Men"-fueled premiere of "Two Broke Girls."