ABC Ranks #1 with Late-Night Viewers & Adults 18-49
With its new lineup of Jimmy Kimmel Live at 11:35 p.m. and NIGHTLINE at 12:35 a.m., ABC delivered its best performance in late-night in Total Viewers in 4 weeks (2.222 million) and in Adults 18-49 in 3 weeks (762,000) - since the weeks of 2/18/13 and 2/25/13, respectively.
ABC's new late-night lineup posted gains over the Net's performance on the year-ago week (2.105 million and 719,000 on w/o 3/19/12) of 6% in Total Viewers and 6% in Adults 18-49.
· For the 16th time this season, ABC was the most-watched network in late-night (2.222 million), outdrawing CBS by 2% (2.182 million) and NBC by 4% (2.127 million).
· Taking the top spot in 9 of 11 weeks with its new lineup, ABC stood as the No. 1 network in late-night once again in Adults 18-49 (762,000), beating CBS by 8% (706,000) and NBC by 11% (684,000). Overall, ABC has ranked No. 1 in 19 of the 26 weeks this season in young adults - almost triple the wins of NBC (5) and CBS (2) combined.
Jimmy Kimmel LIVE (M-F 11:35 p.m.)
During the week of March 18, ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live pulled in its biggest overall audience in 2 months (2.572 million) and delivered its best performance among Adults 18-49 in 3 weeks (889,000) - since the weeks of 1/21/13 and 2/25/13, respectively. JKL also saw impressive gains over the same week last year (1.586 million and 597,000 on w/o 3/19/12) of 62% in Total Viewers and 49% among Adults 18-49, growing year over year in each week since moving to 11:35 p.m.
· Thursday's airing of JKL (on 3/21/13) was the week's No. 1 telecast in late-night in Adults 18-34 (428,000).
· Despite airing a repeat telecast on Friday (versus all-originals for TONIGHT SHOW), ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live was just 7,000 Adult 18-34 viewers from NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno during the week (325,000 vs. 332,000) and less than 100,000 Adult 18-49 viewers from the NBC program (889,000 vs. 982,000).
· ABC's JKL beat CBS' THE Late Show with David Letterman by 3% in Adults 18-34 (325,000 vs. 315,000), marking the ABC program's 10th win in 11 weeks over "Letterman."
On average through its first 11 weeks at 11:35 p.m., ABC's JIMMY IMMEL LIVE stands just 80,000 Adult 18-49 viewers from NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (934,000 vs. 1.014 million). In fact, JKL has virtually eliminated its entire young adult gap with LENO since the move to 11:35 p.m. (-83% - 80,000 vs. 464,000), as almost 500,000 Adult 18-49 viewers stood between the two late-night programs during the same 11 weeks last year.
JKL outdelivers CBS' THE Late Show with David Letterman by 60,000 Adult 18-49 viewers head to head at 11:35 p.m. (+7% - 934,000 vs. 874,000).
Among Adults 18-34, ABC's JKL (332,000) beats NBC's THE TONIGHT SHOW by 4% (319,000) and CBS' THE LATE SHOW by 20% (276,000).
Eleven weeks into its new 11:35 p.m. time slot, ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live is up over its performance through this point last year by 42% in Adults 18-49 (934,000 vs. 657,000) and by 46% in Adults 18-34 (332,000 vs. 228,000), standing as the only late-night broadcast talk show to improve year over year in both Nielsen measures.
JKL is improving The Hour for ABC over the comparable 11 weeks in 2012 by 6% in Adults 18-49 (934,000 vs. 877,000) and by 18% in Adults 18-34 (332,000 vs. 282,000).
NIGHTLINE (M-F 12:35 a.m.)
For the week of March 18, ABC's NIGHTLINE attracted 1.444 million Total Viewers, 638,000 Adults 25-54 and 479,000 Adults 18-49, according to Nielsen Media Research. "Nightline" outdrew CBS' The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson by +41,000 Total Viewers.
NIGHTLINE posted week-to-week increases across all key target demos: Total Viewers (+13%), Adults 25-54 (+12%) and Adults 18-49 (+8%) - 1.275 million, 572,000 and 442,000, respectively, for w/o 3/11/13.
NIGHTLINE improved on ABC's performance in the time period on the same week last year in Total Viewers (+6% - 1.362 million on w/o 3/19/12). "Nightline" has improved year to year in 10 of 11 weeks since moving to its new time slot. The ABC program was the only program to see its overall audience grow, as CBS' "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson" was down (-8%), while NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" was flat.
On average in its new time period, NIGHTLINE has improved ABC's performance compared to the same 11 weeks last year in Total Viewers (+12%). In addition, NIGHTLINE leads CBS' The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson by +98,000 Total Viewers and by +25,000 Adults 25-54.
Late-Night (Week of Mar 18): TOTAL VIEWERS A18-49(000)
ABC 2,222,000 762,000
CBS 2,182,000 706,000
NBC 2,127,000 684,000
Source: The Nielsen Company, Live + Same Day National Program Ratings for weeks of 3/18/13 & 3/19/12 or as dated.