BroadwayWorld.com

Profile for dreaming

Edit Your Profile |

Member Name: dreaming
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact members.
Birthday: - - -

Most Recent Message Board Posts:
  • Judge Overturns Florida's Same Sex Marriage Ban - Sort Of  Jul 18 2014, 11:37:19 AM
    I know. Soon there will be ordinances in towns so no one will know who's married legally where.
  • Judge Overturns Florida's Same Sex Marriage Ban - Sort Of  Jul 18 2014, 11:23:59 AM
    I'd like Miami-Dade and Broward (particularly Broward-which is where my family lives) to follow suit here. (Broward is pretty liberal-I thought they might actually support this.)

PS-Oklahoma's 10th Circuit ruled the state's ban federally unconstitutional: http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2014/07/u-s-appeals-court-rules-okla-same-sex-marriage-ban-unconstitutional/
  • Opera Australia supporting homophobic soprano  Jun 27 2014, 10:17:04 AM
    I applaud Opera Australia for firing the offending party. It is one thing to have those views, but to spew them publicly when you're in the public eye is another entirely. (There are folks who perform at the Met who've expressed similar viewpoints to this soprano-problem is, the Met is afraid to let them go.)
  • superman returns director bryan singer nailing young 'uns  Jun 5 2014, 01:38:34 PM
    Liza-The Barbour incident is what popped into my head first as well. (And I have major qualms with that case-too many questions about the timing on that one and the parents' involvement...too much to go into here. But, it's not always a clear cut situation. That one wasn't.)
  • Chameleon Actress  Jun 2 2014, 12:34:49 PM
    AMEN! I love Cate Blanchett. She's truly a remarkable talent. I first saw her in a little film called "Paradise Road" and she was very, very good. I love her Galadriel in the "Lord of the Rings" films as well as her performance in "Uncle Vanya" that I saw on stage at City Center. (Going to see "The Maids" and can't wait.) I think she's more effortless than Meryl (I agree with Jerry Seinfeld re: Streep: You can see the gears turning when she acts). I prefer actors who don't remind me that they're
  • Celebrities Who Have Been in Cults  Apr 11 2014, 12:50:51 PM
    "And joined another cult called Up With People, a cult that posed as a touring concert sent out to bring smiles and perfection to America's youth."

I was reading this wondering if someone would bring up her subsequent stint with Up With People. I was a kid in dance school and one of the songs used was the theme song "Up With People". Shortly after, my parents had reservations about my being in that dance school. (I was only about three or four.) They removed me shortly after.
  • So why are understudies not promoted more often?  Apr 9 2014, 12:13:52 PM
    Chris Hoch's luck may change, ghostlight.

Also, it would cost more money to train someone to not only do an ensemble track, but the understudy track(s) (often these understudies cover more than one track) than to hire someone for just one role (even the lead). In a way, the understudy is a more valuable commodity.
  • Annoying Commercials  Mar 20 2014, 12:30:46 PM
    I think the erectile dysfunction ads are the ones I am getting most tired of. (There's one where the guy is chasing his wife around at the end of the ad. I can't help but think 'maybe SHE'S not in the mood!'.)

I'm not a fan of the luxury car ads at the holidays-who in the heck buys a car for their loved one? (The top 1% I guess.)
  • Malaysia Airlines Articles  Mar 18 2014, 10:59:10 AM
    Only monkeywrench in that theory is that no debris has been found. When a plane crashes, debris is found, even if the plane goes deep into the Indian Ocean. (The Air France flight to Brazil is a case in point-it took 2 days, but debris was found and so was the plane.) There is more to this I think. While I'd like to believe this theory, I'm not convinced (and I have a dad who's an aeronautical engineer).
  • Tom Jones (1963) - Worst Best Picture ever?  Mar 10 2014, 01:02:22 PM
    I loved Cleopatra. There was something about Elizabeth Taylor in that role that just WORKED. She really exuded who Cleopatra was supposed to be. Also, her chemistry with both Rex Harrison and Richard Burton was amazing. (I thought the fact that they did show her relationship with Caesar was great-I read the biography of Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff, and the film got a lot right it seems. But I veer here.) I have always loved that film and definitely would have voted for it over Tom Jones. (I also t
  • Oscars In Memoriam: Recent Deaths Put Extra Pressure on Academy  Feb 27 2014, 02:47:48 PM
    "Over the Rainbow" was played at a relative's memorial service and it is a fitting tribute song if that's what they're doing. (I think of it as being like heaven as cheesy as that sounds.)
  • Most Disturbing Movie Endings You've Ever Seen  Feb 26 2014, 02:31:34 PM
    For me it's likely "Fatal Attraction" although "Bambi" gave me lots of nightmares as a kid.
  • Your Final 2014 Oscar Predictions  Feb 26 2014, 02:29:06 PM
    I totally agree that Blanchett and Leto (particularly Leto) are locks. But I really think McConaughey will win (and frankly I think he deserves it). I did see all the nominees, and part of the reason I think he should win is that what made his and Leto's performances so remarkable and believable was their chemistry. They played very well off of each other. (I also thought both performances on their own were amazing-I had no clue McConaughey had this in him, or even Leto.)
  • Oscars In Memoriam: Recent Deaths Put Extra Pressure on Academy  Feb 26 2014, 12:40:00 PM
    besty-I like your solution. (The jokes between the presenters don't usually come across that well anyway.) As to who deserves the final shot, I say how about a collage with the people summing it up? Then it loses the 'popularity contest' aspect.
  • Your Final 2014 Oscar Predictions  Feb 26 2014, 12:38:08 PM
    besty-is it the exact same number of votes for a tie? (I thought I read somewhere that for the Tonys, if it's within a certain number of votes, it's a tie.)

I think American Hustle has a better shot at upending 12 Years than Gravity. (Gravity will take the tech awards and Direction-that's it.)
  • Your Final 2014 Oscar Predictions  Feb 26 2014, 11:13:48 AM
    Fair enough, Robbie.

Roscoe, I'm not going to publicly say why or what. You can read the real book and then the difference will be very apparent.
  • Your Final 2014 Oscar Predictions  Feb 26 2014, 11:08:53 AM
    Funny, I thought 12 Years to be completely over hyped and it distorted the truth for the director's own agenda.
  • Your Final 2014 Oscar Predictions  Feb 26 2014, 10:49:56 AM
    I LOVED her performance and think American Hustle is a great film. I sure enjoyed it more than 12 Years. (And Amy Adams was great as well-she finally got out of that ingenue mold.)

• Your Final 2014 Oscar Predictions  Feb 26 2014, 10:29:29 AM
    I'm only listing the categories I have any basis for knowledge of (i.e.-documentary short? No clue.)

Best Picture: 12 Years a Slave
    Spoiler: American Hustle (which I'm rooting for)

Best Actress in a leading role: Cate Blanchett (yawn)
    Spoiler: Amy Adams (I'm in her corner)

Best Actor in a leading role: Matthew McConaughey (he picked up a lot of steam coming into the Oscars and stands a decent chance)
    Spoiler: Chiwetel Ejiofor or Leonardo DiCaprio

• Olympics thread for those watching and who are interested  Feb 20 2014, 03:14:04 PM
    I'm sorry.

There. I've also deleted the post.