Warner/Chappell Music Named Publisher of the Year at ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards
Warner/Chappell Music (WCM), the music publishing arm of Warner Music Group, has been named 2014 Music Publisher of the Year as announced at last night's 27th annual ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards. This is the first year that WCM has won the top honor at three of ASCAP's prestigious ceremonies - the Rhythm & Soul, Pop, and Country Music Awards. WCM songwriter Michael Williams, AKA Mike WiLL Made It - who penned seven of the year's Most Performed Songs - was named Songwriter of the Year. In addition, WCM songwriters picked up a collective 21 Most Performed Song of the Year awards, five of which went to Kendrick Lamar, and four of which went to Shawn Carter AKA Jay Z.
"Our songwriters have not only written hit after hit, they've been doing it across a wide range of genres," said Jon Platt, President, North America, Warner/Chappell Music. "To sweep ASCAP's Rhythm & Soul, Country, and Pop Publisher of the Year awards in a single year is fantastic recognition of our roster's outstanding talent. Congratulations to all of our writers, especially Mike WiLL for his career milestone of winning Songwriter of the Year."
"This is the first time in 13 years that Warner/Chappell has been named Publisher of the Year at the Rhythm & Soul Music Awards," said Cameron Strang, Chairman & CEO, Warner/Chappell Music. "This accolade underscores our success in attracting the best songwriters and helping them build long-term careers by providing above-and-beyond service. I'm delighted to see Jon's leadership recognized in this way, I thank ASCAP for giving us this honor, and congratulate all our amazing songwriters on their richly deserved awards."
Following is the complete list of "Most Performed Song Awards" presented to WCM songwriters last night by ASCAP:
• "23," co-written by Michael Williams
• "Bad," co-written by Olubowale Akintimehin
• "Bandz A Make Her Dance," co-written by Michael Williams
• "Berzerk," co-written by Keir Gist, Anthony Criss, and Vince Brown
• "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe," co-written by Kendrick Lamar
• "Body Party," co-written by Michael Williams
• "Bugatti," co-written by Michael Williams
• "Clean This House," co-written by Ronnie Jackson
• "Clique," co-written by Shawn Carter
• "Fucking Problems," co-written by Kendrick Lamar
• "Give It 2 U," co-written by Kendrick Lamar
• "Hold On We're Going Home," co-written by Jordan Ullman and Majid Al-Maskati
• "Holy Grail," co-written by Terius Nash and Shawn Carter
• "I Cry," co-written by Pierre Melki, Raphael Judrin, Joe Khajadourian, and Alex Schwartz
• "Love Me," co-written by Michael Williams
• "Poetic Justice," co-written by Kendrick Lamar
• "Pour It Up," co-written by Michael Williams
• "Suit & Tie," co-written by Shawn Carter
• "Swimming Pools (Drank)," co-written by Kendrick Lamar
• "Tom Ford," co-written by Shawn Carter
• "We Still In This Bitch," co-written by Michael Williams and Clifford Harris
Warner/Chappell Music, the global music publishing company of Warner Music Group, is home to a wide array of legendary songwriters and a rich catalog of contemporary hits and influential standards. With offices in more than 40 countries, Warner/Chappell provides deep expertise across a range of creative services and the most innovative opportunities for songwriters and copyright holders. With a history dating back more than 200 years, Warner/Chappell currently publishes and administers music from Barry Gibb, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, Eric Clapton, fun., Gamble & Huff, Green Day, Jay Z, Katy Perry, Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Miramax Films, Muse, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M, Roc Nation, Stephen Sondheim, T.I., Timbaland, and Kacey Musgraves, among many others.
Source: Warner/Chappell Music