Museum of the City of New York Presents Folk Concert Tonight
The Museum of the City of New York today announced a star-studded line-up of musicians and writers for a special concert to benefit the upcoming exhibition Folk City. The concert will be held at 8:00 PM tonight, June 20th at the New York Academy of Medicine at 1216 Fifth Avenue at 103rd Street.
In 2014, the Museum will present Folk City: New York and the American Folk Revival, a special exhibition that will explore New York City's crucial role in fueling the nationwide musical revival in the late 1950's and early 1960's.
Pete Seeger is the event's Honorary Chair. WFUV Radio is serving as the event's Media Sponsor. Additional sponsors are: Folk Alliance International, Folk Music Society of New York, Brooklyn Folk Festival, Washington Square Folk Festival, and Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives.
In the coming weeks, the City Museum will announce additional guest performances. The current line-up of entertainers includes:
- Host John Wesley Harding - Acclaimed singer-songwriter, novelist, and creator/host of NPR's John Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders show, described by The New Yorker as "one of the finest nights of entertainment this city has to offer."
- Peter Yarrow - Revered folk singer/songwriter, social activist, co-founder of Peter, Paul and Mary, composer of "Puff, the Magic Dragon" and honored founder of Operation Respect.
- Lucy Kaplansky - Beloved singer/songwriter and integral figure from Greenwich Village since the 1980's who joined up with John Gorka and Eliza Gilkyson to form new folk super-group Red Horse in 2010.
- Langhorne Slim - Innovative singer/songwriter whose band, The Law, released its fourth full-length album, The Way We Move, last year. The New Yorker said Slim had "Leadbelly's gift for storytelling and Dylan's ability to captivate crowds."
- A.C Newman -Founding member - and main writer and vocalist - of supergroup The New Pornographers. His latest solo project, Shut Down the Streets, showcased a Baroque and folk-pop sound.
- Josh White, Jr. - Renowned folk/blues artist and actor, now in the 69th year of his career. He is the son of famed singer/guitarist Josh White.
- David Hajdu -Music Critic at The New Republic, Professor t the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism, and author or Positively 4th Street, which The Washington Post Book Review called "one of the best books about music in America."
- Izzy Young - Former owner of the Folklore Center - described by Bob Dylan as the "Citadel of Americana folk music." - in Greenwich Village and owner of he Folklore Centrum store in Stockholm.
Visit http://www.mcny.org for more information. You also can purchase tickets at http://boxoffice.mcny.org/public/loader.asp?target=show.asp?shcode=533 or register by phone, please call (917) 492-3395.