LES MISERABLES Continues to Break Records, Earns Over $58M Worldwide
Deadline reports that the film adaptation of LES MISERABLES has earned a whopping $58.6M Worldwide at the box office. The movie grossed $28.3M internationally and has brought in a two-day North American total of $30.3M.
Overseas, the film is currently playing in theaters in Australia, where it set a record for biggest opening day of a musical with $1.9 million, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore and Spain. In addition, the site reveals it was the biggest opening day for a Russell Crowe film and the biggest opening day for a Working Title production.
In North America, the film was the 2nd highest Christmas Day opening in history behind 2009's Sherlock Holmes which opened on a Friday with $24.6M. It now also holds the record for the biggest non-weekend Christmas Day opening in history, beating 2008's Marley & Me which opened on a Thursday to $14.4M. It is also the highest-ever opening day for a musical.
Based on Wednesday estimates, a list of the top ten holiday films follows:
1. LES MISERABLES (Working Title/Universal) NEW [Runs 2,808]
Christmas Day $18.1M, Wednesday $12.2M (-32%), Cume $30.3M
2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (MGM/WB) Week 2 [Runs 4,100]
Christmas Day $11.3M, Wednesday $11.3M, Cume $168.3M
3. Django Unchained (Sony/Weinstein) NEW [Runs 3,010]
Christmas Day $15.0M, Wednesday $10.0M (-33%), Cume $25.0M
4. Parental Guidance (Walden/Fox) NEW [Runs 3,358]
Christmas Day $6.4M, Wednesday $4.2M (-32%), Cume $10.6M
5. Jack Reacher (Skydance/Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 3,352]
Christmas Day $5.3M, Wednesday $3.8M, Cume $27.1M
6. This Is 40 (Universal) Week 1 [Runs 2,913]
Christmas Day $4.4M, Wednesday $3.3M, Cume $20.8M
7. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 7 [Runs 1,966]
Christmas Day $2.3M, Wednesday $2.1M, Cume $122.4M
8. The Guilt Trip (Skydance/Paramount) Week 1 [Runs 2,431]
Christmas Day $2.6M, Wednesday $1.6M, Cume $12.6M
9. Monsters Inc 3D (Pixar/Disney) Week 1 [Runs 2,618]
Christmas Day $1.4M, Wednesday $1.6M, Cume $10.1M
10. Rise Of The Guardians (DWA/Par) Week 5 [Runs 3,031]
Christmas Day $1.2M, Wednesday $1.4M, Cume $83.8M
Helmed by The King's Speech's Academy Award-winning director, Tom Hooper, the Working Title/Cameron Mackintosh production stars Hugh Jackman, Oscar winner Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried, Eddie Redmayne, Aaron Tveit, Samantha Barks, with Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen.