Tribeca Film Festival Announces Family and Free Community Events
The Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), presented by AT&T, today announced the return of their signature free community events: the Tribeca Drive-In (April 17-19), Family Festival Street Fair (April 26), Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day (April 26), Tribeca Family Screenings (April 26 and 27).
TFF also announced three film additions to the program which will screen for free at the Tribeca Drive-In movie series on the waterfront plaza at Brookfield Place, sponsored by AT&T and hosted by Brookfield Place. The series will kick off on Thursday, April 17 with the 50th anniversary screening of the classic Disney film Mary Poppins, the 30th anniversary of Ron Howard's Splash starring Tom Hanks, John Candy, and Daryl Hannah on Friday, April 18, and closing with the world premiere screening of the soccer documentary Next Goal Wins on Saturday, April 19.
The Tribeca Family Festival Street Fair will feature an exciting lineup of events, performances and activities for the whole family. The Tribeca Studios Backlot will transform a downtown street into an interactive movie set where visitors can get an up-close look at the elements that go into creating a film on location in New York City. This year also marks the return of the Tribeca Food Feast hosted by Celebrity Cruises, offering food lovers a chance to watch neighborhood chefs create unique dishes on a show kitchen stage. Guests will receive a VIP credential to be stamped at various Street Fair activities with a prize for those who fill their pass with stamps. New to this year's Street Fair is the Games for Change Public Arcade where guests can play a variety of games centered around positive social impact. Street Fair favorites, including live Broadway performances, arts and crafts and puppet shows, will return to the annual celebration of the Tribeca neighborhood.
The annual Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day is returning for its eighth installment as a part of the Tribeca Family Festival. Festival and Street Fair visitors are invited to participate in a variety of sport-themed activities including baseball, sailing, golf and Frisbee tutorials and games, the opportunity to meet New York sports stars, mascots, and personalities, and chances to win prizes and giveaways.
"The family and free community events at TFF are longstanding and beloved traditions," said Peter Downing, Creative Director and Producer, Tribeca Family Festival. "I know the range of activities, from outdoor film screenings, to a hands-on look at how movies are made in New York, to the opportunity to meet local sports stars, provides something for everyone."
"Engagement with the community, particularly in lower Manhattan, an area that has embraced TFF since the Festival began, is one of our core missions," said Genna Terranova, Director of Programming. "The commitment from local artists, chefs and students to help make these public events a success, is remarkable."
Each year, TFF's free events bring thousands of people downtown to enjoy top-notch talent and entertainment, while highlighting the restaurants, merchants, schools and community organizations of lower Manhattan. The free events are as follows:
TRIBECA DRIVE-IN OUTDOOR SCREENINGS
Thursday-Saturday, April 17-April 19
8:15 p.m.; doors open at 6 p.m.
Sponsored by AT&T and hosted by Brookfield
TFF's outdoor screening series features the following films for this year's Tribeca Drive-In. The free evening of cinema under the stars is open to the public, and seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Doors open and programs begin at 6 p.m., with screenings starting at dusk (approximately 8:15 p.m.).
Mary Poppins - Thursday, April 17
Directed by Robert Stevenson
The Banks children just can't get along with the nannies hired by their overbearing banker father. Then the wind picks up in the east, someone knocks at the door, and all of their lives are changed forever. Fifty years ago, Mary Poppins floated off of the silver screen to become one of the most beloved movie musicals of all-time. Julie Andrews delivers a star-making title performance, alongside Dick Van Dyke as the lovable jack-of-all-trades, Bert. Courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures.
Come early for Disney-themed trivia contests, a "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" spelling bee, face-painting, food trucks and a high-flying kite show.
Splash - Friday, April 18
Directed by Ron Howard
Allen Bauer nearly drowns off the coast of Cape Cod. He wakes on the beach beside a beautiful woman, who all-too-quickly disappears into the ocean. But the real mystery begins days later when she reappears at the Statue of Liberty guarding an incredible secret, as Allen falls wholeheartedly in love. Celebrating its 30th birthday this year, Ron Howard's rollicking New York comedy-caper stars Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah, Eugene Levy, and John Candy. Courtesy of Touchstone Pictures.
Come early for Tails of Glory (the award-winning dancers from the Coney Island Mermaid Parade) performing a rockin' homage to cinema. Plus face-painting, food trucks and more...
Next Goal Wins - Saturday, April 19
Directed by Mike Brett and Steve Jamison
World Premiere, Documentary. When the American Samoan national soccer team suffered the world's worst defeat, losing to Australia 31-0, these tiny islands crash-landed into last place in FIFA world rankings, and became known as "the worst team in the world." More than a decade later, they have not yet won an official match. Next Goal Wins follows their miraculous efforts as they train for the next World Cup. Led by an eccentric new coach, they have a chance to redefine their international reputation.
Come early for live Samoan drummers, virtual soccer drills, face-painting, food trucks and more...
TRIBECA FAMILY FESTIVAL STREET FAIR
Saturday, April 26
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Greenwich Street (between Chambers Street and Hubert Street)
The Tribeca Family Festival will feature the annual Street Fair on Saturday, April 26, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., on Greenwich Street from Chambers Street to Hubert Street, and at venues throughout the Tribeca neighborhood. The fair, a Festival favorite, is free and open to the public, and promises to be a day of family fun and lively entertainment.
Activities and performances throughout the Street Fair will bring storytelling and filmmaking to life. The celebration will include talented performers, dancers, stilt walkers, Broadway performances, arts and crafts, clowns, jugglers, music, games and much more. Students from dozens of local schools will also be at the fair performing on the numerous stages where their vibrant artwork will be displayed. . The Street Fair will also host restaurants, merchants and organizations from the Tribeca neighborhood. More details and a comprehensive map of events will be available in the coming weeks at www.tribecafilm.com/family.
· The Tribeca Studios Backlot will bring a neighborhood street to life with all of the classic elements of filmmaking: lights, cameras, and action! Here, families can participate in and learn about the wide array of elements that are a part of creating a film. Participating organizations include:
o The Mayor's Office of Media & Entertainment (MOME) will have a presence on the "lot" with its "Made in NY" branded hot dog cart. Reps from the office will distribute information about REEL JOBS, resident FAQs, the "Made in NY" PA Training Program and the "Made in NY" Lower Manhattan Walking Tour. Panels and discussions will focus on NYC as a production location and feature content and personalities from NYC Media (nyc.gov/media), New York City's official television network.
o The Tribeca Film Institute: "You Call the Shots!" Take five with Tribeca Film Institute where young movie fans will have a chance to sit in the director's chair and create a film of their own through working with interactive storyboards. Once finished, the "director" will enjoy their creation on the big screen with the help of the Tribeca Film Fellows, our talented high school student filmmakers. Parents can learn more about how TFI champions storytellers in our Membership Lounge where they will be encouraged to take a seat, and take a look at the special, year-round perks of our TFI Family Membership Program and enter for a chance to win a gift bag with goodies from the Tribeca neighborhood and TFI's filmmakers
o Theatrical Teamsters Local 817 "On Location" Film Experience: Theatrical Teamsters Local 817 will be on site with a High End Star Trailer, a Hair and Make-Up Trailer, a Camera Car, a Grip Truck, and an Electrics Truck out on the Tribeca Studios Backlot. Come down and experience what it's really like to work "On Location" in New York City.
o Tribeca VIP "Red Carpet" Photo Op: Festivalgoers will be invited to walk the Tribeca Studios Backlot red carpet and pose next to Fathead Stand Out™ Cut Outs of recognizable athletes and entertainment personalities.
o The Animation Chefs: Using iPads and various media, the Animation Chefs help kids as young as Pre-K bring to life their creativity. Teaching young kids the entire process of making an animated film of their own, they have inspired thousands of young filmmakers to use mobile devices for productive, creative media projects.
o Take Two Film Academy hosted by Léman Preparatory, will be doing a Pitch Your Movie game for kids 7-15 years old. Win a free filmmaking workshop this summer for the best pitch.
· The Games for Change Public Arcade presented by Zynga.org, will take place on Jay St. (between Greenwich St. & Hudson St). The Arcade offers a full city block of great games, both digital and physical, for all ages to play and discover. These experiences are 'games for good' - designed for learning and social change - highlighting the positive power of play. The public arcade is part of the 11th annual Games for Change Festival, New York City's largest gaming event, which joins the Tribeca Film Festival for the first time this year. Among the presenters at the arcade will be The American Museum of Natural History, which will offer a range of games related to their new exhibit Pterosaurs: Flight in the Age of Dinosaurs; co.lab; The Institute of Play; the Quest to Learn School; Global Gaming Initiative; Come Out & Play; and a range of independent developers of educational games.. The massively popular Facebook game, FarmVille 2, will have a fun farm-themed installation to share the word about all the charity work that the game has made possible. Beyond tents showcasing digital games and live games and activities on the street, the arcade will also include healthy snacks from General Mills' Small Planet line of healthy foods.
· A lineup of New York City chefs will offer demonstrations and share cooking secrets and tastings at the Tribeca Food Feast Stage hosted by Celebrity Cruises. Throughout the day at the Family Festival Street Fair, a line-up of local and NYC restaurants will be spotlighted on the "show kitchen" stage. Each chef will prepare and present a house specialty to a select number of audience members.
· Professional talent and community acts will be scheduled to perform throughout the day including live "Broadway at Tribeca" performances by the casts of WICKED, MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL, CINDERELLA, A GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE TO LOVE & MURDER, MAMMA MIA!, HEATHERS THE MUSICAL, A NIGHT WITH JANIS JOPLIN, ROCK OF AGES, AFTER MIDNIGHT and ROCKY and additional performances by Manhattan Youth, Downtown Dance Factory, Studio of Marilyn Klaus - Ballet with a Twist, T. Kang Taekwondo and storyteller Bill Gordh.
· The Kidz Block Party at Duane Street is the perfect place for the youngest festivalgoers to enjoy the Family Festival with "soft" play areas and activities including:
o A variety of stage acts and performances on the Duane Street Stage.
o Storytelling, book readings and author meet & greets at Story Corner.
o The Puppet Place will feature puppet shows and workshops by
Noel MacNeal of "10 Minute Puppets."
o Other kid-friendly events such as face painting and bubble garden.
· Kids can explore their artistic side with arts & crafts, street chalk art and face painting.
· At the Kite Place, kids will be able to make their own kite and learn to fly it from masters of the craft of kiting.
· CHESS NYC will host "speed tournaments" and ongoing chess matches for all skill levels
· Elementary and middle-school students from downtown schools will act as TFF Hosts. They will be facilitating all of the events, performances and activities at the Family Festival Street Fair and will introduce various screening programs throughout the Family Festival.
· The "VIP Pass" Program will offer children and families the opportunity to receive their own film credential, which will guide them through the day's experiences. Their "VIP Pass" will be stamped at various areas of the event, and a special prize awaits those who are able to fill their pass with stamps.
· The Lincoln Motor Company will invite families to experience film through two interactive moments around the 2015 MKC and 2015 Navigator. Festivalgoers can choose to star in their own film scene at the Lincoln video booth as well as take a game break from the street fair activities in the arcade retreat.
· Conrad Hotels & Resorts invites you to star in your very own movie poster. Everything from action to adventure to comedy, your personalized movie poster can be shared with friends.
· 60 Hudson will host the Duane Street Stage, the Arts and Crafts Pavilions and an art contest for local students. One piece of artwork selected from participating schools will be showcased in the 60 Hudson window located on the corner of West Broadway and Thomas Street.
Games, prizes, music and fun will also supported by AT&T, ESPN, Clear Channel Media and Entertainment NY, The New York Times, Radio Disney AM 1560, Time Out New York Kids, Real Simple Magazine, and The Hollywood Reporter.
For updated information on the Tribeca Family Festival Street Fair, visit tribecafilm.com/family.
TRIBECA/ESPN SPORTS DAY
Saturday, April 26
10 a.m.-6 p.m.
N. Moore Street (between Greenwich Street and West Street)
A perennial favorite of the Family Festival Street Fair, the eighth annual Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day, sponsored by Mohegan Sun, will take place on Saturday, April 26, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., on N. Moore Street (between Greenwich Street and West Street). The Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day gives sports fans the opportunity to engage in a variety of free, sports-related activities that will include games, demonstrations and prize giveaways. The Sports Day Stage will be live all day promoting Sports Day participants, special guests, interactive athletic experiences and more.
· Mohegan Sun will be entering guests to win an overnight stay and $100 dining certificate via raffle and longest golf drive competition.
· Join ESPN New York as they gear up for baseball season with an interactive baseball challenge for all ages and win awesome prizes.
· Fathead®, the leading brand of sports and entertainment graphics, will have life-size Fathead Stand Out™ Cut Outs of well-known professional athletes on the Tribeca/ESPN Sports Day red carpet for sports fans to pose with.
· The Sports Day Kids Combine gives kids of all ages a chance to showcase their athletic skills. Kids will test their agility and strength as they move through a series of fun and active stations. They'll record their scores and then head to the Sports Day Draft Stage to be "drafted" by our commissioner to a professional New York sports team and pose for a photo op.
· Test your QB accuracy with the New York Jets football toss and sign up for the New York Jets Kids Club.
· Fans can join the New York Knicks, New York Rangers and WNBA New York Liberty for interactive experiences, giveaways & contests for all ages.
· Fans will enjoy New York Mets giveaways and ticket offers for fans, and a special visit from Mr. Met from Noon-1pm.
· DiscNY will teach you the basics of throwing and test your accuracy with a variety of disc games.
· The City Parks Foundation will host a custom-built practice green where kids can test their putting skills and win an assortment of prizes.
· Join the Golf Club at Chelsea Piers for their interactive Golf Hitting Bubble to perfect your swing, get tips from top PGA/LPGA teaching professionals and enter to win great raffle prizes
· The National Lacrosse League will host a fun, inflatable lacrosse activity
· Fencers Club Olympians and elite athletes will be on hand to teach kids the exciting and safe sport of fencing
· The National Hockey League Foundation will offer great giveaways throughout the day
· New York Women's Baseball will run pitching and throwing clinics
· Ahoy Sailors!" Please visit Tribeca Sailing, where kids can create their very own sailing flag that they then raise to the top of the mast, try their hand at tying real sailor knots and adults can sign up for a chance to win a free sailboat ride.
· Players from New York Empire will offer giveaways and provide Ultimate instruction
· Join Downtown United Soccer Club (DUSC) for a fun and interactive soccer experience including soccer tennis, street soccer and juggling contests ... You got game?
· The Myachi Original Hand Sack and award winning Battle Paddles combine the full body coordination of action sports with the old school fun of hacking the sack! Come out and try this innovative new sport!
· The NY Rumble, a professional Ultimate Frisbee Team, will be holding contests for free merchandise and tickets, as well as teaching about the fastest growing sport in the country: Ultimate Frisbee.
· Uncle Funkys Boards and Sure Skateboards will be on-hand to provide beginner skateboard lessons and skate demonstrations.
· SPiN New York will be on site with fun ping pong action and games. By combining an unusual mixture of sport, design and entertainment, SPiN New York has created a unique day and night time venue with 17 ping pong courts, a full bar, restaurant, pro shop and private VIP room.
· PowerPlay NYC, a group that creates opportunities for girls in sports, health, and education, will be out with their female coaches playing sports with the crowd and celebrating girl power!
· The Downtown Giants Youth Football organization will offer football instruction and fun activities.