Tony Hawk Featured in Operation Smile's New Interactive Film CHANGE FOREVER
In honor of Operation Smile's 30th anniversary celebration, share your smile with world-renowned athlete Tony Hawk . On January 10th, Operation Smile, an international children's medical charity, is premiering "change forever" - a short interactive film starring Tony Hawk which can be viewed at www.wecanchangeforever.com. In the film, viewers can upload their smile through Facebook and watch as their smile travels around the world to help a child suffering from a facial deformity such as cleft lip and cleft palate. The online and social media campaign encourages individuals to join the movement by sharing their smile and the film on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. They also are asked to take a pledge to help create greater awareness for children suffering from facial deformities. The pledge advocates that every child has the right to smile.
The video is launching during National Birth Defect Awareness month. Every three minutes, a child is born with a cleft. One in 10 will not live beyond their first birthday. Children with clefts are often unable to speak or eat properly, and are shunned from their communities.
To increase awareness, Operation Smile launched its 30th Anniversary change forever campaign, featuring a year-long series of events in the U.S. and globally. Operation Smile has set a goal to raise significant funds worldwide through The Campaign to eradicate the backlog of children suffering from clefts, and increase global access to safe surgical care.
The change forever campaign is designed to make a lasting impact. The global campaign is planned to include the additional following elements:
- The anniversary kicked off in the Philippines. In 30 days in 9 cities, Operation Smile provided more than 8,000 free healthcare evaluations and performed surgeries for 1,219 Filipino children and young adults. More than 1,000 medical volunteers from 38 countries donated their talents for these anniversary missions in the Philippines, where Operation Smile hosted its first-ever medical mission in 1982.
- As part of a grant awarded to Operation Smile by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Operation Smile will launch a large-scale awareness campaign about craniofacial malformations to increase information for families in the U.S. The Campaign is being designed to improve access to healthcare services for children with clefts.
- Transformational stories from Smile Ambassadors including Roma Downey , Jessica Simpson , Brooke Burke-Charvet , Zachary Levi , Giuliana Rancic , Donald Trump, Jr. , Billy Bush and so many others;
- Multimedia events in Boston, Dallas, Palm Beach, Park City, D.C., NYC, Toronto and LA.
- In-country field reports from well-known mommy bloggers on surgical missions;
- A thought-leadership gathering in D.C. where an Operation Smile report on the state of surgical delivery in the global health landscape will be released;
- Youth initiatives including the 22nd annual International Student Leadership Conference, where over 600 students from more than 20 countries will develop their philanthropic leadership skills.