Juries Announced For 2013 Tribeca Film Festival and Tribeca Film Institute Programs
The Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), presented by founding partner American Express, today announced its jurors - a diverse group of 42 industry leaders, including award-winning filmmakers, writers, producers, acclaimed actors, respected journalists and entrepreneurs. The jury will be divided among the seven competitive Festival categories. The winning films, filmmakers and actors in each category will be announced at the TFF Awards Night ceremony, streamed live on TribecaFilm.com on April 25. The 2013 Festival runs from April 17 -28.
"We are delighted to welcome such an illustrious group of individuals to the Tribeca jury," said Jane Rosenthal, co-founder of the Tribeca Film Festival. "We look forward to their expert perspective on the films and talent in our program and the dialogue that emerges from the process."
In addition, the Tribeca Film Institute (TFI) announced the six individuals who will serve as jurors for the Tribeca All Access (TAA) Creative Promise Awards, presented by the Time Warner Foundation. The winning projects will be announced during the Tribeca Film Festival on April 25. The non-profit also announced the three jurors for the Latin America Media Arts Fund, including the Heineken VOCES awards. Jurors for the TFI Sloan Filmmaker Fund were announced earlier this week.
The seven TFF juries will award $180,000 in cash and prizes. TAA will award an additional $20,000 -- $10,000 for narrative and $10,000 for documentary. Announced earlier this year, all winners will also receive a work of original art by an acclaimed artist as part of the Tribeca Film Festival Artists Awards program, sponsored by Chanel. In addition, TFI will award $130,000 in grants to Latin American film and video artists, including two $10,000 Heineken VOCES grants for Latin American filmmakers living and working in the United States.
Following is a list of all 2013 Festival and Tribeca Film Institute jurors and their respective categories.
World Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2013 World Narrative Competition are:
Kenny Lonergan: Academy Award-nominated playwright, filmmaker and screenwriter. Credits include You Can Count On Me, Gangs of New York, and Margaret. His stage credits include Lobby Hero, The Waverly Gallery and This is Our Youth. He is a member of the Naked Angels Theater Company in New York.
Bryce Dallas-Howard: Multi-award nominated actress, director, writer and producer. Acting credits include The Help, 50/50, The Twilight Saga, Hereafter, Restless, Lady in the Water, The Village and the HBO adaptation of Shakespeare's As You Like It. She directed the short film When You Find Me as part of Canon's innovative and inaugural "Project Imagin8ion" campaign and directed one of five short films included in The Lifetime Original Movie event "Call Me Crazy: A Five Film."
Paul Haggis: Academy Award-winning filmmaker whose credits include Crash, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters to Iwo Jima, Casino Royale, In the Valley of Elah and television including Thirtysomething and The Tracey Ullman Show.
Blythe Danner: Tony and Emmy Award-winning actress. Stage credits include A Streetcar Named Desire, Betrayal, Stephen Sondheim's Follies, The Miser and The Seagull. Film work includes The Great Santini, Mr. and Mrs. Bridge and Meet the Parents.
Jessica Winter: Senior editor at Time magazine, directing coverage of the arts and culture. Her writing has appeared in Time, The New York Times, Slate, The Guardian and many others. Previously served as a juror at the London and Vancouver International Film Festivals.
The jurors for the 2013 World Documentary Competition are:
Whoopi Goldberg: Makes her directorial debut at in the 2013 TFF with the documentary I Got Somethin' To Tell You. One of an elite group of artists who have won an Academy, Grammy, Emmy and Tony Awards.
Sandi DuBowski: Director and producer whose award-winning work has screened at Tribeca, Sundance, Berlin and Toronto Film Festivals; BBC, PBS, and ZDF-Arte; and in cinema release globally. Credits include Trembling Before G-d, A Jihad For Love and Budrus.
Joe Berlinger: Academy Award nominated filmmaker and two-time Emmy Award-winning television producer and director. Films include Brother's Keeper, Paradise Lost and Metallica: Some Kind of Monster and Crude.
Evan Rachel Wood: Critically acclaimed actress who has garnered Emmy, SAG and Golden Globe nominations. Credits include The Wrestler and HBO's MildrEd Pierce. Stars in the 2013 TFF selection A Case of You.
Mira Sorvino: Academy Award-winning actress best known for Woody Allen's Mighty Aphrodite, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion, The Replacement Killers, Mimic and Norma Jean and Marilyn.
Emerging Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2013 Best New Narrative Director are:
Stu Zicherman: New York-based screenwriter, producer and director. Co-created the ABC's Six Degrees and wrote and produced ABC's What About Brian and FX's Lights Out. Has written feature scripts for several major studios and made his feature directorial debut at the 2013 Sundance Film festival with The Comedy A.C.O.D.
Ari Graynor: Film, stage and television actress and producer. Credits include the films For a Good Time Call, Celeste and Jesse Forever, 10 Years, Holy Rollers, Conviction and Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist and the television series The Sopranos and Fringe. Broadway credits include The Performers, Relatively Speaking and The Little Dog Laughed.
Naomi Foner: Academy Award-nominated and Golden Globe-winning screenwriter, producer and director. Writing credits include Running on Empty, Losing Isaiah and Very Good Girls.
· Radha Mitchell: Australian actress, Radha Mitchell who currently stars on the ABC series Red Widow is best known for her work in past feature films such as High Art, Man on Fire, Finding Neverland and Woody Allen's Melinda & Melinda.
Tony Gilroy: Academy Award-nominated screenwriter and director whose credits include Dolores Claiborne, Michael Clayton and the Jason Bourne series.
The jurors for the 2013 Best New Documentary Director are:
· Taraji P. Henson: Academy Award nominee for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Hustle & Flow, Date Night, Karate Kid, and Think Like a Man. Currently stars in the CBS hit Person of Interest.
· Josh Radnor: Actor, writer and director best known for the Emmy Award-winning television series How I Met Your Mother. He wrote, directed and starred in Happythankyoumoreplease and Liberal Arts and next appears in Jill Soloway's Afternoon Delight.
· Jared Cohen: Founder and director of Google Ideas, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and an author. His books include: The New Digital Age: Reshaping the Future of People, Nations and Business; Children of Jihad; and One Hundred Days of Silence. Previously served as a member of the U.S. Secretary of State's Policy Planning Staff and a close advisor to Condoleezza Rice and later Hillary Clinton.
Short Film Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2013 Narrative Short Film Competition are:
· Sheila Nevins: President of HBO Documentary Films, is responsible for overseeing the development and production of all documentaries for HBO, HBO2 and Cinemax. She has overseen the creation of more than 500 documentaries and has earned dozens of awards, including, Primetime Emmys, News and Documentary Emmys, and Peabody Awards.
· Kassem Garaibeh: Actor, comedian, and co-founding talent of Maker Studios, a network that includes over 10,000 channels on YouTube. Credits include his award-winning YouTube series California On and Going Deep.