GODZILLA Stomps Way to Top of Worldwide Box with $196.2 Million
Rentrak Corporation (RENT), the leader in precisely measuring movies and TV everywhere, today announced the worldwide weekend box office estimates for the weekend of May 18, 2014 as compiled by the company's Box Office Essentials and International Box Office Essentials theatrical measurement services.
As the trusted standard for all studio box office reporting, Rentrak provides intelligence into overnight theatre-level reporting across the global theatrical market. Coupled with the official reported data, studios are able to analyze admissions and gross results in over 50 territories using Rentrak's suite of products.
Rentrak's Senior Media Analyst Paul Dergarabedian commented, "Monsters and Super Heroes announce that the summer movie season is in full swing in the international marketplace as 'Godzilla' posts the biggest debut of the year with $103 million in 64 territories adding up to a monster-sized global debut of $196.2 million. 'The Amazing Spider-man 2' adds another $31.5 million in 92 territories this weekend and slings its worldwide total to over $600 million. Notably, 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' crosses the $700 million milestone globally after adding another $1.3 million this weekend in 30 international markets."
The top-12 domestic weekend box office estimates listed in descending order, per data collected as of Sunday, May 18, 2014, are below.
1. Godzilla - Warner Bros. - $93.2M
2. Neighbors - Universal - $26.0M
3. Amazing Spider-Man 2, The - Sony - $16.8M
4. Million Dollar Arm - Disney - $10.5M
5. Other Woman, The - 20th Century Fox - $6.3M
6. Heaven Is for Real - Sony - $4.4M
7. Rio 2 - 20th Century Fox - $3.8M
8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Disney - $3.8M
9. Legends Of Oz - Freestyle Releasing - $2.0M
10. Mom's Night Out - Sony - $1.9M
11. Divergent - Lionsgate - $1.1M
12. Grand Budapest Hotel, The - Fox Searchlight - $1.1M