Advance Sales for MAN OF STEEL Looking 'Super', According to Fandango
According to Fandango, the nation's leading moviegoing destination, advance ticket sales and positive fan word-of-mouth for "Man of Steel" are out of this world. The highly-anticipated film, opening this Friday, scored a rare 98 out of 100 points on the company's Fanticipation buzz indicator, and ranks as today's top ticket-seller on Fandango representing more than 60% of today's sales. "Man of Steel" soars high above the rest of the competition, including Seth Rogen's raunchy apocalyptic comedy, "This is the End," (score of 77), "Fast & Furious 6" (score of 68), "The Purge" (score of 67), and "The Internship" (score of 65).
Fandango's Fanticipation measures fan sentiment around the weekend box office line-up, with numerical scores that are calculated based on a proprietary analysis of Fandango's advance ticket sales, website and mobile traffic, and social media engagement.
Fandango surveyed more than 1,000 "Man of Steel" ticket-buyers, and uncovered the following results:
- 88% are fans of Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight" franchise;
- 83% said the supporting cast of award-winning and nominated stars (Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, and Michael Shannon) increased their interest in seeing the movie;
- 81% claimed the darker interpretation of Superman made them more interested in buying a ticket;
- 75% cannot wait to see Michael Shannon's performance as the villain General Zod;
- 72% are fans of director Zack Snyder's previous films ("300," "Watchmen");
- 69% want to see "Man of Steel" because the lead is played by Henry Cavill and not by an established box office superstar.
To help moviegoers with their weekend selections, Chief Correspondent Dave Karger breaks down the new releases on this week's episode of Fandango's "Weekend Ticket" video series, featuring an interview with "Man of Steel" star Henry Cavill, who reveals his superhero suit presented some unique challenges. To find out more, check out "Weekend Ticket," available now for viewing at www.fandango.com/weekendticket.