11 Live Action Short Films Advance in Oscar Race
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced that 11 live action short films will advance in the voting process for the 85th Academy Awards®. A tie in the nominations balloting resulted in 11 films being shortlisted. One hundred twenty-five pictures had originally qualified in the category.
The 11 films are listed below in alphabetical order by title, with their production companies:
- “A Fábrica (The Factory),” Aly Muritiba, director (Grafo Audiovisual)
- “Asad,” Bryan Buckley, director, and Mino Jarjoura, producer (Hungry Man)
- “Buzkashi Boys,” Sam French, director, and Ariel Nasr, producer (Afghan Film Project)
- “Curfew,” Shawn Christensen, director (Fuzzy Logic Pictures)
- “Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw),” Tom Van Avermaet, director, and Ellen De Waele, producer (Serendipity Films)
- “Henry,” Yan England, director (Yan England)
- “Kiruna-Kigali,” Goran Kapetanovic, director (Hepp Film AB)
- “The Night Shift Belongs to the Stars,” Silvia Bizio and Paola Porrini Bisson, producers (Oh! Pen LLC)
- “9meter,” Anders Walther, director, and Tivi Magnusson, producer (M & M Productions A/S)
- “Salar,” Nicholas Greene, director, and Julie Buck, producer (Nicholas Greene)
- “when you find me,” Ron Howard, executive producer, and Bryce Dallas Howard, director
(Freestyle Picture Company)
The Short Films and Feature Animation Branch Reviewing Committee viewed all the eligible entries for the preliminary round of voting at screenings held in Los Angeles.
Short Films and Feature Animation Branch members will now select three to five nominees from among the 11 titles on the shortlist. Branch screenings will be held in Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco in December.
The 85th Academy Awards nominations will be announced live on Thursday, January 10, 2013, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.
Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2012 will be presented on Sunday, February 24, 2013, at the Dolby Theatre™ at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live on the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 225 countries worldwide.