Video: Google Glass Competition! GlassUp Launches on IndieGogo
GlassUp, a start-up company specializing in augmented reality eyeglasses, is now accepting preorders for its GlassUp eyeglasses as part of its recently launched IndieGoGo campaign. Designed to simplify anyone's daily routine, these distinctive glasses make it easy for people to instantly see their emails, texts, Facebook updates, breaking news and more from their smartphones without having to constantly check their devices.
"GlassUp eyeglasses are really an extension of people and their mobile devices," said Francesco Giartosio, CEO, GlassUp. "We're designing the stylish glasses, so people can see everything they want in an extremely convenient, straightforward way and still feel proud to wear the glasses anywhere."
Simple Approach behind How the Glasses Work
GlassUp is a second screen output for Internet-connected devices. Information is sent from the smartphone to the glasses through a low-powered Bluetooth connection. The glasses display all notifications from a connected Android or iOS Smartphone to the special lenses that display them as if they were in the air in front of the user. Messages are projected from a small electronic circuit and optical element housed in the frame. The messages or content people receive is determined by the applications they download.
Advantages over Google Glass and Other Competitors
Unlike Google Glass and other "eyeglass display devices," GlassUp:
- Projects the information close to the center of vision (like looking through a windshield), which causes less strain on the wearer's eye. Other display glasses force the wearer to lift their eyes around in an unnatural way to see what's on the screen (like looking through a rearview mirror).
- Costs much less than major brands. The market price will be $399 much less than the projected cost of Google Glass but you can currently get them on the IndieGoGo campaign for half the future market price.
- Comes with a long battery life that averages 150 hours stand by, and 8 hours of normal usage.
- The initial version is a "receive only" device, so there are no photos, videos or privacy issues.
- Projects in monochrome, so it's easier read.
The Marriage behind the Sleek Design and Cutting-Edge Technology
The eyeglasses' hip look hails from Italy where 98% of all frames are designed. Its patent-pending technology comes from an experienced engineering team, including a scientist who developed optical systems for the Italian air force's pilot helmets using a similar display technology, and an engineer who developed a smartwatch wearable computer.
Colorful Eyeglass Options to Choose From
The easy-to-wear and lightweight glasses will come in a few choices of design and colors with prescription lenses coming soon after launch. The glasses are in prototype stage now and will go into production for delivery in February. The crowdsourced funding campaign runs through August 8 here to raise $150,000.
Many Application Options for Software Developers
The company has released the APIs so developers can develop more applications. Applications that software developers can create include:
- Notifications such as email messages, news, calendar events.
- Touring information about buildings, historical sites and monuments.
- Subtitles for movies, speech to text for hearing impaired, or instant translations for foreigners.
- Turn-by-turn directions for bicycle or motorcycle riders.
- Gaming apps.
- Apps for maintenance and warehousing.
GlassUp is an Italian start-up company focusing on the creation and enhancement of a glasses-computer which receives messages via a connected Smartphone. With a solid engineering team including the optical scientist who created helmets for the Air Force as well as a smartwatch creator, the company is headed by CEO Francesco Giartosio who launched the company with his own vision to find a way to make lives simpler by wearing glasses and getting notifications right before your eyes. For more information, visit www.glassup.net.