Verizon Wireless Completes $301 Million In Washington, DC, Maryland & Virginia Network Enhancements In 2012
Verizon Wireless today announced the completion of $301.4 million in wireless network enhancements in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia in 2012, increasing the company's regional network investment to more than $3 billion since its inception in 2000.
During the year, Verizon Wireless expanded its 4G LTE network, providing customers with speeds up to ten times faster than 3G, to more than 470 markets nationwide. Regional markets where the company activated its 4G LTE service in 2012 included Harrisonburg, Martinsville, Staunton, Danville, Fredericksburg, Lynchburg, and Charlottesville in Virginia.
Nationally, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $80 billion since it was formed in 2000 to increase the coverage and capacity of its premier nationwide networks and to add new services.
"Since 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested more than $3 billion into our regional wireless network to provide our customers in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia with the fastest and most reliable mobile coverage," said Mike Maiorana, regional president, Verizon Wireless. "Today's wireless consumers, including business and government customers, need a wireless provider who understands and anticipates their mobility needs. Verizon Wireless continues to invest what's required to deliver a superior network experience every day."
Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Timeline in Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia
- December 2010:
- Verizon Wireless launched blazing fast 4G LTE network in the Baltimore/Washington, DC area with coverage extending to suburban Maryland and Northern Virginia as well as Annapolis.
- August 2011:
- Verizon Wireless extended 4G LTE coverage up I-270 Corridor to Frederick, MD, including communities of Monrovia, Urbana, Green Valley, Holly Hills and Futura.
- September 2011:
- Verizon Wireless launched 4G LTE on campus at Virginia Tech and in surrounding community of Blacksburg, VA.
- October 2011:
- Verizon Wireless lit up Virginia markets of Richmond and Greater Hampton Roads, VA, including the communities of Norfolk, Newport News and Virginia Beach.
- The company also extended 4G LTE coverage further up I-270 Corridor from Frederick to Hagerstown, and announced plans to expand service south to Myersville, west to Clear Spring, north into Pennsylvania and east to Catoctin Mountain by year's end.
- November 2011:
- Verizon Wireless activated 4G LTE in Roanoke, VA and surrounding communities of Smith Mountain Lake, Christiansburg, Radford City, Buena Vista City, Lexington City and Rockbridge, VA.
- Expanded Washington, DC 4G LTE footprint now includes southeast portion of Prince George's County, MD.
- December 2011:
- Verizon Wireless 4G LTE reaches 195 markets and more than two-thirds of all Americans.
- April 2012:
- Verizon Wireless extends its 4G LTE coverage along the I-81 corridor in Virginia, reaching Harrisonburg, Martinsville and Staunton. Coverage is also enhanced southward from Prince William and Stafford Counties into Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
- May 2012:
- The beach communities in North Carolina's Outer Banks now have access to 4G LTE. Coverage also is extended in southwest Virginia to include Danville.
- June 2012:
- Lynchburg, Virginia comes online. Additional enhancements in Fredericksburg and surrounding counties are completed, and coverage is extended across the West Virginia border to Beckley.
- July 2012:
- Verizon Wireless activates its 4G LTE in Charlottesville, Virginia.
- October 2012:
- Additional enhancements are made to provide continuous 4G LTE coverage from western Virginia to Bluefield, West Virginia.
- December 2012:
- Just two years after its initial launch, Verizon Wireless' 4G LTE coverage includes 470 markets nationwide, more than all other carriers combined.