Full Samsung CES Guide - Smart Hub, Ultra HD, OLED TV & More
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today created the ultimate lean back experience with first-of-its kind Smart features, larger screen sizes with breakthrough picture quality and elegant designs that push the boundaries of technology across its 2013 TV product categories. Regardless of consumers' viewing preferences for LED, OLED or the innovative Ultra High Definition (UHD), Samsung's 2013 Smart TVs allow consumers to enjoy a seamless, integrated and immersive entertainment experience. With increasing consumer demand for larger screen sizes, Samsung will also expand the number of models available in 60 inches and above, in addition to the world's largest commercial UHD TV at 110 inches.
"As the plethora of apps and content grow, consumers are faced with the overwhelming challenge of discovering quality content that appeals to their interests. They are looking for ways to experience converged content, and they want to do it easily"
Highlights of the 2013 features include:
- Samsung Smart Hub: Five intuitive panels help consumers manage and navigate different types of content, which are displayed as thumbnail images for the first time so it's even easier to select and watch the content on the big screen. With a light hand gesture (flipping), you can discover five totally different experiences in Smart Hub, as if you have five new TV sets.
- S-recommendation: Quickly and easily search for TV programs, premium video-on-demand, apps, social content and locally-stored content on personal devices. The special recommendation engine also offers customized content recommendations for the most personal TV experience ever.
- Advanced Smart Interaction: Use everyday language and casual gestures to find content or command and control the TV.
- Content and device convergence with multi-screen features: Samsung's Smart View allows consumers to move their content seamlessly between devices in real-time; AllShare connects the TV to compatible mobile devices and home appliances wirelessly and creates a smart center for media and whole-home automation. Users also gain the ability to mirror their TV content on compatible Samsung GALAXY tablets and phones.
- Evolution Kit: Owners of flagship Samsung 2012 TVs will be able to update their TVs with the latest Smart TV features simply by slotting in this Evolution Kit without having to buy a new TV.
"As the plethora of apps and content grow, consumers are faced with the overwhelming challenge of discovering quality content that appeals to their interests. They are looking for ways to experience converged content, and they want to do it easily," said Kim Hyun-Suk, Executive Vice President and Head of Visual Display business at Samsung Electronics. "We have simplified the process with TVs that offer more intuitive features, endless connectivity and content options, and larger screen sizes with true-to-life picture quality. Consumers can now enjoy the ultimate lean back experience, which is richer and easier than ever before."
In recognition of its leadership in innovation, design and engineering, Samsung won four CES 2013 Innovation Awards for its TV line. The Samsung S9 UHD TV received a CES Best of Innovation award, while three Smart TVs - the F9500 OLED TV, F8000 LED TV and F7500 LED TV - were named as 2013 CES Design and Engineering honorees.
Ultimate lean back experience with personalized viewing content
Samsung Smart Hub has been redesigned to simplify the process of discovery for consumers. Apps and content are arranged into five dynamic panels with an easy-to-navigate interface and dynamic thumbnails for instant previews. These panels are:
- On TV - shows the channel that is currently playing as well as the most relevant, personalized suggestions that may be airing shortly based on consumer viewing habits
- Movies & TV Shows - an easy view of movies and TV services and over-the-top content that are available from various content providers. Content is recommended based on the consumer's viewing habits
- Photos, Videos & Music - allows consumers to organize personal content and files on Samsung Smart TVs and other linked devices
- Social - highlights user-created content from friends and family, popular videos from Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and video call services
- Apps - organizes downloaded Samsung Apps and recommendations for easy access
Samsung's new S-Recommendation technology also enables the discovery of personalized content based on previous viewings and user ratings. Available on Samsung 2013 Smart TVs, Smart home theater and Smart Blu-ray players, S-Recommendation checks preferred content across various services, including broadcast TV, streaming video-on-demand content, applications, social content and locally-stored content from personal devices to ensure there is always something to watch.
Samsung's advanced Smart Interaction utilizes powerful algorithms to ensure even more enhanced voice and motion controls. With advanced Voice Interaction, consumers can use everyday language to command the TV. Viewers can also ask their TV to search for content currently available by actor, title or genre, and it will provide recommendations.
Motion Control now recognizes more natural movements, with two-handed gestures and better viewing environment flexibility. Viewers can pinch to zoom, or use a flip motion to easily navigate between Smart Hub panels.
Setting up a home entertainment network between compatible devices is easy with Samsung's AllShare. Once consumers have connected their Samsung Smart TVs to other devices in the same wireless network using built-in wireless connectivity features, they can easily send and receive images and audio between devices.