The Met Museum Announces Upcoming Exhibitions
The Art of Illumination: The Limbourg Brothers and the Belles Heures of Jean de France,
Duc de Berry
March 2-June 13, 2010
The Belles Heures (1405-1408/9) of Jean de Berry, a treasure of The Cloisters collection, is one of the most celebrated and lavishly illustrated manuscripts to have survived from the late Middle Ages. Because it is currently unbound, all of the illuminated pages can be exhibited as individual leaves, a unique opportunity never to be repeated. The exhibition will elucidate the manuscript, its artists - the young Franco-Netherlandish Limbourg Brothers - and its patron, Jean de France, duc de Berry. A select group of precious objects from the same early-15th-century courtly milieu will place the manuscript in the context of the patronage of Jean de Berry and his royal family, the Valois.
The exhibition is made possible by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the Michel David-Weill Fund.
The related publication is made possible by the Michel David-Weill Fund.
The Mourners: Medieval Tomb Sculptures from the Court of Burgundy
March 2-May 23, 2010
The renovation of the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Dijon provides an opportunity for the unprecedented loan of the alabaster mourner figures from the tomb of John the Fearless, Duke of Burgundy, and his wife, Margaret of Bavaria. Each of the 38 statuettes is approximately 40 centimeters (16 inches) high. They were carved by Jean de La Huerta and Antoine Le Moiturier between 1443 and 1456 for the ducal tomb originally in the church of Champmol. They follow the precedent of the mourner figures carved by Claus Sluter and colleagues for the tomb of Duke Philip the Bold (1342-1404). The tombs are celebrated as among the most sumptuous and innovative of the late Middle Ages. The primary innovation was the space given to the figures of the grieving mourners on the base of the tomb, who seem to pass through the real arcades of a cloister. The installation at the Metropolitan will be supplemented by related works from the Museum's collection, including the monumental Enthroned Virgin from the convent at Poligny (established by John the Fearless and Margaret of Bavaria) that was carved by Claus de Werve.
The exhibition was organized by the Dallas Museum of Art and the Musée des Beaux Arts de Dijon, under the auspices of FRAME (French Regional and American Museum Exchange).
The exhibition is supported by a leadership gift from the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Foundation. Additional support is provided by The Florence Gould Foundation, the Eugene McDermott Foundation, Connie Goodyear Baron, and Boucheron. Major corporate support is provided by Bank of the West - Member BNP Paribas Group.
The exhibition is supported by an indemnity from the Federal Council on the Arts and the Humanities.
Accompanied by a catalogue.
March 16, 2010 - September 6, 2010
Buried near his tomb in around 1327 B.C., remains from the mummification and funeral of the ancient Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun were unearthed in 1907 by the American businessman and excavator Theodore M. Davis, who in 1909 donated the objects to the Metropolitan Museum. This exhibition will consist of the most important pieces from the Davis find. On display will be pottery vessels from the funeral meal, linen sheets and bandages, bags of natron and sawdust from the embalming process, and some fine linen head covers worn by the embalmers. Highlights will be the miraculously well-preserved collars of real flowers that must have been intended to adorn the mummy, but were not used. A sculpted head of the youthful Tutankhamun, facsimile paintings representing contemporary funerary rituals, and photographs by Harry Burton will round out this intimate glimpse into what went on at the king's funeral.
The exhibition is made possible by the Gail and Parker Gilbert Fund.
The catalogue is made possible by The Friends of Isis, Friends of the Department of Egyptian Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Press Preview: Monday, March 15, 10:00 a.m.-noon
Side by Side: Oberlin's Masterworks at the Met
March 16 - August 29, 2010
Founded in 1917, the Allen Memorial Art Museum at Oberlin College is one of the finest college or university collections in the United States, serving as an invaluable educational resource for aspiring art scholars and artists. While the museum is closed in 2010 for renovations, 20 of their masterpieces-19 paintings and one sculpture-will be on view at The Metropolitan Museum of Art for five months. These will include the great Ter Brugghen painting Saint Sebastian Tended by Saint Irene (one of the most important Northern Baroque paintings in the U.S.), Cézanne's Viaduct at l'Estaque, Kirchner's Self-Portrait as a Soldier, and a striking Kirchner sculpture. Each of these works will be integrated into the Metropolitan Museum's great collection, creating new, provocative juxtapositions.
Press Preview: Monday, March 15, 10:00 a.m.-noon
Vienna Circa 1780: An Imperial Silver Service Rediscovered
April 13-November 7, 2010
Following the acquisition in 2002 of two Viennese silver wine coolers from the Sachsen-Teschen Service, most of the set's surviving parts were discovered in a French private collection. This superb ensemble was last displayed at the beginning of the 20th century. Wine coolers, tureens, cloches, candelabra, candlesticks, dozens of plates, porcelain-mounted cutlery, and other kinds of tableware, totaling over 350 items, represent the splendor of royal dining during the ancien régime. It was made for Duke Albert Casimir of Sachsen-Teschen (1738-1822) and his consort, Archduchess Maria Christina of Austria (1742-1798), daughter of Empress Maria Theresa, by the Imperial court goldsmith Ignaz Josef Würth. The Sachsen-Teschen Silver Service, an embodiment of Viennese neo-classicism, will be shown in the context of contemporary silver from other countries.
The exhibition is made possible by the Anna-Maria and Stephen Kellen Foundation.
Picasso in The Metropolitan Museum of Art
April 27-August 1, 2010