Minnesota Orchestra Musicians Reject Another Contract Offer from Management
On Saturday, the musicians of the Minnesota Orchestra voted to reject the latest contract offer by management, according to the New York Times. There have already been four contract proposals since October 11 of last year, after the expiration of their former contract proposal. The Orchestra was forced to cancel their 2012-13 season, and the upcoming season, is in danger of the same treatment unless management and the musicians can come to an agreement soon.
The settlement deadline has already been extended past its original September 15th date. As it moves closer to the opening of the season, Michael Henson, the President of the Orchestra said, "We will continue to negotiate beyond the deadline, but Sept. 30 is a hard deadline for the Carnegie Hall concerts." According to Mr. Henson, they have not yet seen the players' proposals.
Management's three-year contract proposes a salary cut; the musician's annual salary would decrease from $135,000, down to $104,500. The contract would also include 10 weeks of paid vacation for the players, as well as a $20,000 signing bonus for each musician.
"The musicans are trying to present creative alternatives" Said Blois Olson, the musician's representative. According to Olson these alternate solutions would, "save the Minnesota Orchestra and its relationship with [Music Director] Osmo Vanska as we know it."
Click here to read the full article.